APD Logs: Friday, Jan. 24 – Sunday, Jan. 26

‘No parking’ signs removed

The following police logs are from the Amherst Police Department from Friday, Jan. 24 to Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020.

Friday, Jan. 24, 2020

Motor Vehicle Stop

9:58 a.m.: The operator of a gray 2008 BMW X3 was given a verbal warning for speeding at 43 mph on Belchertown Road.

6:06 p.m.: The operator of a white 2007 Cadillac Escalade was issued a verbal warning for a lights violation.

Disturbance

11:18 a.m.: At Bruegger’s Bagels at 170 North Pleasant St., a reporting party stated that an older female with blonde hair, a red jacket and a purple backpack was causing a disturbance. The involved party claimed an employee was harassing her. APD noted the woman was screaming profanities at patrons and employees. She was asked to leave and eventually did so.

1:03 p.m.: A reporting party stated that an individual at 10 Belchertown Rd. was keeping a clinician from leaving the apartment. The clinicians told APD that the individual was yelling at them, which prevented them from getting to their car to leave. The individual claimed the clinicians were threatening her. She wanted them to get out of her house but stated she now had no way to get to Greenfield. The individual was advised to stay inside her apartment, to stop drinking and to stop causing problems. APD noted the individual had been given several chances that day and another dealing with her would likely result in arrest.

9:11 p.m.: An anonymous reporting party at Stackers at 57 North Pleasant St. wanted to report an intoxicated male who was stumbling around and getting into people’s faces. The individual was described as a white male who was 5 feet 11 inches with long hair and sunglasses. He was estimated to be around 30 to 40 years old and was wearing a camo jacket. The individual was located at Subway at 4 Main St. He was advised of the complaint and elected to go home for the rest of the evening.

Assist Citizen

12:16 p.m.: A woman claimed somebody hit her with a car during a hit and run near The Hair by Harlow Day Spa at 220 North Pleasant St. She was intoxicated and declined offers of medical attention. She could provide no description of the vehicle and provided a plate which returned no match. Another involved individual  came into the station to speak with an officer and advised the woman had been screaming at her, yelled profanities and then claimed that the involved party struck her and stated that she would call police. The woman advised that her social worker was supposed to pick her up in 15 minutes and she  wanted to leave. She left in the middle of APD questions, no longer wishing to cooperate or pursue the matter.

3:21 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was someone smoking under the pavilion in the Mill River Recreational Area at 95 Montague Rd. APD located the individual and  advised him of the posted “no smoking” sign around facility buildings and near the playground.

Assist Other Police Department

2:36 p.m.: APD was advised by Northampton State Police to be on the lookout for a yellow 2009 Ford Focus. The operator had been in Westhampton and confronted his ex-girlfriend, burned himself with a cigarette, cut himself with a knife and was possibly on his way to Belchertown. The notice was cancelled when the vehicle was stopped by Northampton PD.

10:24 p.m.: A “be on the lookout” was issued out of Hadley PD for a blue Honda Accord with white lettering on the windshield. HPD advised of a road rage incident on Route 9 by Wildwood BBQ heading toward Northampton. The vehicle was described as having bright LED blue lights and modified taillights. There was a possible firearm shown in the incident. The operator was described as a Hispanic male in his 30s or 40s with a goatee and wearing a red sweatshirt.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

4:46 p.m.: At 40 Montague Rd., a reporting party stated that he wasn’t sure if the operator of a black 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse had a license and that it looked like the driver could be on something. The reporting party had no specifics as to why he thought the involved party was under the influence of drugs and simply stated he seemed to be off. APD located the vehicle traveling south on Northeast Street near the rifle range. APD then turned around and followed the vehicle to Pelham Road until the town line and did not observe any offenses or indicators of impairment.

Animal Complaint

5:14 p.m.: At 16 Palley Village Place, a reporting party found a small dark brown dog with no collar which was approximately six to eight pounds. The reporting party said it was okay to give out her number. The dog owner called dispatch and was given the reporting party’s number.

8:58 p.m.: A reporting party found a chocolate lab that ran into the road at 481 West St. The reporting party said it was okay to give out her number.

Motor Vehicle Crash

6:14 p.m.: At 36 Wildflower Drive, a blue 2018 Audi A4 was traveling northbound when a deer ran into the road. The motor vehicle struck the deer causing damage to the front passenger side of the car. The deer was severely injured but still alive. The deer was moved to a safe location and dispatched. The Department of Public Works was notified of a deer carcass.

6:28 p.m.: The operator of a black 2019 Subaru Impreza parked his vehicle on the west side of North Pleasant Street near the CVS and when he returned to his vehicle,he discovered damage to his rear bumper. No information was left by the offending vehicle operator.

Traffic

9:56 p.m.: Near 23 Leverett Rd., a reporting party stated there was a dead deer in the middle of the road. No deer were located in the area. Dispatch was advised to contact Leverett PD so they could search their town.

11:32 p.m.: At 200 Sunset Ave., a reporting party stated there was a vehicle in the parking lot which was driving extremely fast. The reporting party believed that they had  seen open containers in the vehicle. The vehicle then turned on to Sunset Avenue with an unknown direction of travel. The vehicle was described as a white SUV with a possible storage container on the hood and an unknown license plate number. The vehicle was gone upon arrival.

Assist Amherst Fire Department

11:23 p.m.: Thick black smoke was covering the roadway coming from the chimney at 193 East Pleasant St. APD contacted the two residents. The smoke was coming from a wood burning furnace.

911 Hang Up

11:51 p.m.: At 33 East Pleasant St., a 911 call was hung up. As it came through a 911-only phone, there was no way to return the call.

Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:08 a.m.: At 338 College St., an operator was driving a black 2004 Buick Regal with a revoked registration due to insurance. The operator was advised she was not able to drive the vehicle until the registration was up to date. The operator stated she had paid the insurance but was unaware she also had to activate her registration. Ernie’s Towing was contacted and the motor vehicle was towed to the operator’s house. A verbal warning was issued.

1:03 a.m.: A gray 2015 Hyundai Sonata was stopped for not having any exterior lights on near 911 North Pleasant St. The operator showed signs of impairment and consented to perform field sobriety tests which further indicated impairment from alcohol. The operator, a 21-year-old Attleboro man, was placed under arrest for operating under the influence and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

3:04 a.m.: A gray 2008 Toyota Prius was stopped for speeding at 44 Belchertown Rd. A verbal warning was issued to the operator.

Noise Complaint

12:08 a.m.: A reporting party stated that there was loud music and people talking and walking around at 133 Belchertown Rd. There was no noise on APD arrival.

2:57 a.m.: A reporting party stated there was loud music and noise outside of 26 Hallock St. and that she couldn’t sleep. The noise was gone on APD arrival.

11:09 p.m.: Loud noise, music and yelling was reported at 219 East Pleasant St. An officer placed a call to the resident’s number and left a message stating that the party had 20 minutes to quell the disturbance or officers would take appropriate enforcement action.

11:40 p.m.: Loud noise, music and yelling was reported at 364 North Pleasant St. Two large, registered parties were asked to turn down their music for the night.

11:46 p.m.: A second noise complaint for 219 East Pleasant St. The resident turned off the music for the night and cleared out his party for the evening. Approximately 30 guests were inside the house.

Assist AFD

1:00 a.m.: At 338 Nutting Ave., APD assisted with traffic. The crowd had dispersed on APD arrival.

Motor Vehicle Crash

1:10 a.m.: A gray 2014 Nissan Versa struck a pole located on the West Street rotary near 1102 West St. Upon APD arrival, the operator was outside of the vehicle with minimal injuries stating that he had a slight pain in his knees but refused to be checked by AFD. Field Sobriety Tests were performed and the operator checked out okay. The motor vehicle was later towed by Ernie’s Towing.

Fight

1:41 a.m.: At 31 North Pleasant St., APD was flagged down and advised there was a fight occurring behind Antonio’s Pizza in the back Boltwood Lot. When APD arrived, none of the involved parties were on the scene and nobody stated what had occurred, just that it had been broken upand nobody was left on scene.

Traffic

9:16 a.m.: A reporting party stated there was a vehicle illegally parked in the area of 47 Gray St.

12:21 p.m.: At 135 Fairview Way, a reporting party stated that a gray 2013 Toyota Highlander was parked too close to the corner and was a hazard. A parking citation was issued to the vehicle for parking near an intersection.

Animal Complaint

9:34 a.m.: At 39 Jeffrey Ln., an APD officer retrieved a stray dog.

Missing Property

10:26 a.m.: At 81 Belchertown Rd., a reporting party advised that she left her black laundry cart with wheels next to the dumpsters while she was doing laundry. When she returned it was no longer there, and she wanted to report that it was taken. It appeared someone may have picked it up and thought it was being thrown out. She requested that officers keep an eye out for it and return it to her if it was located.

Assist Citizen

11:47 a.m.: At 78 Gray St., a reporting party stated that the “no parking” signs were removed on the east side of the street. He believed that the signs were removed by students living in 41 Gray St. and advised that parking on the street made it harder for buses and trucks to get down the street. APD placed a call to DPW and left a message on the answering machine to ask DPW to please check the area and re-sign as needed after review.

3:56 p.m.: A reporting party stated that she lost her iPhone and it had been tracked to 37 South Pleasant St. in an unknown apartment. The iPhone had a cracked screen, black case and debit and credit cards attached. The involved party was at the location the previous night and earlier that morning.

4:53 p.m.: At 1040 North Pleasant St., a reporting party was at his mom’s apartment and was trying to retrieve some clothing from the apartment. His mother was refusing him entry to get his jacket. During the call, the mother came to the door and the two individuals were arguing over the items. After dispatch, the mother gave the son gloves and he left the apartment. He was willing to speak to an officer but didn’t think it was necessary to have one meet him at the apartment. The reporting party requested assistance with mediation between himself and his mother as the reporting party wanted to get a couple of his sweatshirts from the apartment. The mother stated the clothing was not there. The reporting party stated that he would call if he needed further assistance.

10:02 p.m.: An APD officer reported a slip and fall incident on snow in the rear lot at the APD station at 111 Main St.

Disturbance

1:15 p.m.: A reporting party stated that there was a male party harassing the cashier in Cumberland Farms at 21 Montague Rd. The reporting party decided to intervene and this upset the male party who then threatened to beat up the reporting party. The male party was described as a 25-year-old male with blonde, curly hair. He was approximately 5 feet 9 inches with a skinny build and wearing a black oversized jacket with dark jeans. The reporting party stated the male was going back and forth between the laundromat and was now inside the liquor store. The dispute was cleared with both individuals on their way home. The reporting party was upset and felt he was threatened. The cashier said he did not hear or see a problem. The involved party stated he was just waiting for change when the reporting party became upset and started yelling at him.

7:39 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was a male who appeared high outside of the Spoke at 35 East Pleasant St. He was described as a white male in his 30s wearing a black hat, black jacket that appeared to be leather and a black backpack. The 37-year-old Amherst man was located and arrested for disorderly conduct after being observed yelling, screaming and waving arms at staff and patrons while standing in the middle of Pray St. and East Pleasant St.,disrupting traffic. The man also hit the fully marked APD vehicle on Pray St. twice upon arrival but did not cause damage to the vehicle.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

7:13 p.m.: At 750 Belchertown Rd., a 911 cell caller reported a white 2012 Hyundai Sonata all over the road crossing marked lanes and almost striking a guardrail a few times. The motor vehicle continued westbound from the Belchertown town line on Route 9 to South East St. to Main St. to Triangle St. and around the rotary to North Pleasant St. before the reporting party turned off. UMPD was notified and the vehicle was gone on arrival.

11:09 p.m.: Two minivans were reported in the area of Amethyst Brook heading towards town. The operators may have been intoxicated as the reporting party saw them leave a gathering with some drinks. The area was checked and no minivans were found.

Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020

Traffic

12:14 a.m.: A reporting party stated that there were party goers in the area of 191 Shays St. in the road blocking traffic. The party goers were gone upon arrival.

3:10 p.m.: A blue SUV, possibly a Toyota or Honda, was parked at the intersection of Blackberry and Grantwood Drive and was believed to be a traffic hazard. The vehicle was gone upon officer arrival.

6:37 p.m.: A large pothole was reported on Snell Street, closer to Route 116. DPW was notified.

Assist Citizen

12:26 a.m.: A party at 53 Fearing St. was seeking assistance with an intoxicated roommate refusing to cooperate in returning home. Toward the end of the call, the reporting party disconnected, stating that they were walking home and the situation was under control.

12:34 a.m.: Near 200 Sunset Ave., a reporting party made a second call about an intoxicated roommate running into the road. The intoxicated female was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:32 a.m.: A gray 2000 Toyota Camry SE was stopped at 1 Spring St. with a passenger side headlight out. The operator was notified and a verbal warning was issued.

1:57 a.m.: A black 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt was stopped on South Pleasant Street with a passenger side headlight out. The operator was notified and a verbal warning was issued.

5:07 p.m.: A blue 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt was stopped on East Pleasant Street for a defective driver side headlight. A verbal warning was issued.

Assist Other PD

12:36 a.m.: Hadley PD requested assistance with a search for a  female party.

7:32 p.m.: Northampton PD requested K9 officer to the town of Whately for a female party who took off on foot after violating a protective order. K9 Marvin searched the large farm property for the suspect.

Community Policing

12:43 a.m.: An officer walked through the center of town during bar closing, “all appeared normal.”

Disturbance

12:52 a.m.: A resident of Colonial Village Apartments reported that a person she was staying with threw her belongings out of the apartment. The resident called back saying she was all set, but officers were dispatched to ensure public safety. The woman who was throwing things out of the apartment had been kicked out by the resident and was asked not to return. All of the resident’s belongings were outside upon officer arrival. The woman was found to have an active warrant and was placed under arrest.

1:10 a.m.: Parties at Douglass Funeral Home at 87 North Pleasant St. were having a verbal argument that an officer could hear while parked outside Amherst Fire Department. Both parties were spoken to and said they were all set and would be separated for the night.

Suspicious

2:53 a.m.: At Subway, 4 Main St., there was a report of a male in a black hoodie standing in the window and looking at people inside “for the past 25 minutes,” making people feel uncomfortable. The male was gone upon arrival. An area search was negative, and the employee was advised to call back if the male returned.

8:31 p.m.: A 911 call was made from Colonial Village Apartments because a neighbor had left a mirror and table in the common hallway in front of their door. The caller advised that he had called management and left a message. Dispatchers told the caller that this was not a 911 call, nor could the police do anything about this matter.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

12:23 p.m.: A silver Hyundai was reportedly parked on Gray Street and the alarm had been going off all morning. The vehicle was having troubles with the alarm system and the owner parked it in the driveway, leaving it unlocked as a temporary solution to bypass the alarm until the vehicle can be fixed.

Assist Business/Agency

3:52 p.m.: At Ernie’s Towing at 40 Montague Rd., a male party was refusing to leave. The male, approximately 20 years old and wearing a tan jacket and black shirt, needed to sign paperwork in order to get his vehicle back and was refusing to do so. The male was upset about his vehicle being towed twice in two days, as he was a new resident at the Townehouse Apartments and has not yet received his parking pass. He was encouraged to contact apartment management on Monday to resolve the issue.

Motor Vehicle Crash

4:50 p.m.: A blue 2019 Honda Insight and a green 2013 Ford Escape collided at Big Y at 175 University Dr. There were no injuries.

8:27 p.m.: A 2019 Toyota clipped a 2015 Lexus in the area of 103 South Pleasant St. The Toyota struck the parked Lexus, which was in the corner spot to the side parking area of the Hitchcock House on Sellen Street. The Lexus suffered damage to the front driver side quarter panel, bumper and headlight. The Toyota suffered damage to the rear passenger side door and quarter panel/bed. A note was left with the insurance information for the owner of the Toyota.

Kathrine Esten can be reached at [email protected]. Ana Pietrewicz can be reached at [email protected].