What to do when you’re single on Valentine’s Day

No date on Valentine’s Day? No problem.

Something people tend to get confused about is the real purpose of Valentine’s Day.  Many have the wrong idea that Valentine’s Day is all about couples.

Despite its earlier history, Valentine’s Day has come to be celebrated as a day of romance, according to Britannica. While everyone has their own definition of romance, the overall meaning of it is affection. Therefore, Valentine’s Day is actually all about celebrating love and affection. This can mean self-love, love for your friends, family, significant other and even your pets!

For those of us who are single, there’s a plethora of ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day without a partner. For instance, you can treat yourself to a well-deserved day of self-love. On the other hand, if you’re looking for company, you can get together with the girls or the guys and celebrate your friendship. Family also makes great company on this day of love too. In addition, you can even show your pets some love and affection.

Self-Love

When it comes to self-love, the options are seemingly endless – do whatever makes you feel your best.  Invest in some me time and enjoy your own company.

If you feel like relaxing, there are lots of ways to wind down. You can pamper yourself by having breakfast in bed, taking a warm bath, getting a massage or having a spa day.  Reading a book, watching your favorite show or movie, taking a nap, journaling and listening to music or podcasts are all great ways to unwind as well.  If you’re up for doing something at home, cook or bake your favorite food, try a new hobby, paint or do yoga.

On the other hand, getting out of the house can help you to feel more alive and fulfilled.  If you feel like going out, going for a walk, jogging, hiking or playing sports is a great way to fuel your soul and enjoy your day. Depending on where you live, you can go to the beach, people-watch, explore nature. Another way to enjoy some me time is to take yourself on a date. Buy yourself flowers, go see the movie you’ve been wanting to see, indulge in a good meal, watch a performance, attend a sports game, go to an amusement park and anything else that makes you happy.

Self-love is so essential to a person’s wellbeing, so make sure you take advantage of this day of love for yourself.  As you can see, there are endless ways to find fulfillment as a single person and make this day all about you.

Friends

If you find that you’re more of a people person, you might find it fun to get together with your friends for Valentine’s Day.  There’s a wide variety of things you can do with your friends for guys and girls alike.

For the ladies, it’s always nice to have a girls’ night out.  Whether you get dinner or drinks, see a show or performance, go dancing, sing karaoke or even spend the night in the city, there are plenty of ideas to try out.  On the other hand, daytime activities for a girls’ day are also fun.  Consider going shopping, having a spa day, catching a sports game or performance, exploring a new town, getting brunch, taking a road trip, going for a hike or visiting an amusement park. Finally, spending “Galentine’s Day” inside can be just as fun and fulfilling when you’re with good company.  Host a movie marathon, cook or bake together, have a game night, arrange a photoshoot, have a paint night, do facials, order takeout, write each other valentines, drink rosé and, of course, eat lots of chocolate – it’s only tradition that you do.

While Valentine’s Day is typically associated with couples and Galentine’s Day for women, why not indulge in the perfect opportunity for a day for the guys?  Now there are plenty of ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day as a man, just as there are for women.  For instance, go out and do something out of the house.  Attend a sporting event, go out for dinner or drinks, go bowling or play golf, see a show or performance, have a bonfire, go for a hike, go camping, see a movie, go boating or fishing, play sports or whatever else fuels your soul.  For indoor activites, the list keeps going.  Have a game night, watch a show or movie, play pool or darts, cook a meal together, have a video game competition or even just grab some beers and enjoy some quality time with one another. Don’t forget the sweets either – they’re essential on this day.

There are several ways to spend Valentine’s Day as a man or a woman, with or without a significant other.  Find out how you want to spend this day, who you want to spend it with and make the most of it.

Family

For many people, family is number one – who loves you more than your family?  This is why they make the perfect group of people to spend Valentine’s Day with. Whether you spend it with your sister, brother, mom, dad, grandma or even the whole crew, you can have a lot of fun with family. Valentine’s Day is a good day to bring out any family traditions you have like making a special meal together, watching a certain movie, baking your mom’s one-of-a-kind cookies, writing valentines and more.  If you’re looking for one-on-one time, there are lots of more intimate things you can do as well.  Of course, you can always include your pets on Valentine’s Day too.

Valentine’s Day is for everyone, no matter who you are, how old you are or whether or not you’re single.  If you’re looking for me time, this is the perfect opportunity to invest in yourself and do what makes you happy.  On the other hand, if you’re looking for company, there are many fun and enjoyable ways to bond with your loved ones and celebrate your appreciation for them. Make Valentine’s Day what you want because it’s not just for couples – it’s about love and it’s for everyone.  Here’s to a wonderful day of love for everyone and a new perspective on Valentine’s Day.

Alexandria Faneuf can be reached at [email protected].