Resources for students affected by COVID-19 outbreak and transition to remote learning

Academic, financial, wellbeing resources and more

With the abrupt end of the semester on campus and transition to remote learning, the University of Massachusetts and other companies are offering various resources to students. Below is a list of those various resources, ranging from storage to class materials to wellbeing.

Textbooks

eCampus has partnered with VitalSource to provide students with free digital textbooks through May 25. Students can add up to seven titles to their account after logging into or creating a Bookshelf account with their University email. More information can be found here.

Financial

The University is providing emergency support to “student employees who will face financial hardship due to the loss of on-campus employment after April 3, 2020, due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.” Students can fill out the Student Employee Loss of Income Financial Hardship Form here. UMass is also releasing emergency microgrants and short-term loans to those in need.

UMass also suggests students file an unemployment claim, which can be found here.

Library Access

Online resources subject to license restrictions that typically limit off-campus access to UMass students, faculty and staff may be accessed through the library’s website when you log in with your UMass NetID and password. The URL must contain “silk.library.umass.edu,” or the user will not be recognized by the content provider. More information can be found here.

Those who permanently reside in Massachusetts and students living in-state for the majority of  the year to attend school are eligible for an eCard to the Boston Public Library. More information can be found here.

UMass Writing Center

The UMass Writing Center will continue to operate remotely until April 30. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday. Appointments can only be done via a laptop or personal computer with a camera and microphone. More information can be found here.

Recreation Center

The Rec Center is streaming remote fitness classes and workouts (schedule can be found here). Recipes of the Week are also being released every Friday, courtesy of the Rec Center.

Center for Counseling and Psychological Health

The CCPH remains available 24 hours per day, seven days per week, 365 days per year for mental health emergencies. All services, including routine appointments, will be conducted by phone. As of now, psychotherapy and psychiatry appointments are being conducted for existing clients only, but CCPH is working to adapt their services. “Let’s Talk/Chat” sessions are open to all. More information can be found here.

The CCPH has also shared a list of psychological tips for managing Coronavirus concerns, which can be found here.

Storage

U-Haul is offering one month of free storage to students displaced by COVID-19. To take advantage of the offer, students must be new customers with valid student IDs. More information can be found here.

Broadband and Wi-Fi

Charter is giving Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access to households with students for 60 days, free of charge. Installation fees will also be waved for new student households. More information can be found here.

Food

Resources for those experiencing hunger and food insecurity can be found here.

This list will be updated as more resources become available.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.