This week at UMass: Monday, March 2 to Sunday, March 8

From Sun to Cement, Acappellooza and Meek Mill

The following are five highlights of what’s happening on the University of Massachusetts campus and surrounding community from Monday, March 2 to Sunday, March 8.

COVID-19: An Interdisciplinary Roundtable on the Coronavirus

Amherst College is hosting an interdisciplinary roundtable discussion on the coronavirus on Wednesday, March 4 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in Pruyne Lecture Hall. Katherine Mason, a medical anthropologist from Brown University, Mandy Muller, a virologist from the UMass Department of Microbiology, Andrew Lover, an infectious disease epidemiologist from the UMass School of Public Health and George Qiao, a historian of China from Amherst College will discuss the coronavirus and demonstrate the power of cross-disciplinary exchange.

From Sun to Cement: Recent Work By MFA Alumni From The Department of Art

An exhibit of recent work by MFA Alumni from the UMass Department of Art will open Thursday, March 5 at the Herter Art Gallery, with a reception from 5 to 8 p.m. The artists in this exhibition are Nour Bishouty, Rebecca Graves, Priya Nadkarni Green, Karen Gustafson, Kelli Scott Kelley, Eben Kling, Ron-Wontae Kim, Christy Patrick, Vic Quezada, Marcia Reed, Renee Richard, Chelsea Sams, d’Ann de Simone, Jenny Tibbetts and Amanda Tiller. There will also be a panel discussion with the artists moderated by Department Chair Shona Macdonald and Graduate Program Director Young Min Moon.

Acappellooza 2020

The Vocal Suspects are presenting the annual Acappellooza this Friday, March 6 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. in Bowker Auditorium. All of UMass’ acapella groups will be featured and perform, including The Vocal Suspects, UMass Dynamics, Wicked Pitch, Choral Dilemma, Doo Wop Shop, Duly Noted, Rang, Note-orious and S#arp Attitude. Entry is free.

MullinsLive! Concert with Headliner Meek Mill

The Grammy-nominated Meek Mill will be at the Mullins Center Saturday as the MullinsLive! Concert headliner. Tickets are $10 with a UCard at the Mullins Center Box Office and via the MullinsCenter.com student portal (with a $3 processing fee). Tickets are also available the day of the event for $15. Doors open at 10 a.m.

Yuri Kochiyama Cultural Center Presents: A Passion For Justice Conference

Nathalie Amazan, a senior studying political science, legal studies and Afro-American studies, will be the guest speaker at the A Passion For Justice Conference, presented by the Yuri Kochiyama Cultural Center. The conference will take place in Campus Center rooms 804-808 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 7 and will be dedicated to building cross campus relationships, creating dialogue on issues that will foster a better campus climate and starting conversations that will cover intersectional identities. Amazan specifically will speak on how we can transform justice and center visions for personal and communal liberation.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.