UMPD Logs: Friday, Feb. 28 – Sunday, March 1

Several arrests were made over the weekend
(Maxwell Zaleski/Daily Collegian)

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Feb. 28, 2020 to Sunday, March 1, 2020.

Friday, Feb. 28, 2020

Traffic Stop

12:04 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment in Lot 49I (east of Van Meter Hall) on Van Meter Road.

12:27 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic citation in Lot 49 (north of Grayson Hall) on Orchard Hill Drive.

12:27 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on University Drive.

9:18 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to use care at Totman Gymnasium on Eastman Lane.

5:10 p.m.: A vehicle was stopped for an alcohol check on University Drive. Three summonses were issued.

10:00 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Fearing Street.

10:07 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a traffic citation on University Drive.

11:31 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a one-way violation on Eastman Lane.

11:39 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield by Boyden Gymnasium on Commonwealth Avenue.

11:58 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield and a safety violation on Tobin Road.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

12:22 a.m.: Fire Engine One was notified of an accidental or defective trouble alarm that went off at Linden Hall in the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue.

4:12 a.m.: F1 was en route to Johnson Hall on Thatcher Road after being notified of an accidental or defective trouble alarm.

5:49 a.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective trouble alarm at the W.E.B. DuBois Library on Hicks Way.

1:09 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective trouble alarm at Goessmann Laboratory on North Pleasant Street. F1 stated the alarm will remain in trouble.

3:05 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental or defective trouble alarm at Lincoln Apartments Building 9 on Lincoln Avenue. F1 stated the alarm will remain.

Suspicious Vehicle

12:48 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a field sobriety test in Lot 44 on Sylvan Drive. The operator, a 22-year-old male from Easthampton, was arrested and charged with operating under the influence with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 percent or higher, possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle and procuring alcohol for a person under the age of 21. Another party was issued a summons.

10:13 p.m.: A reporting party from Amherst-Pelham Regional High School stated parties in an older, grey minivan were yelling at pedestrians from a loudspeaker at Knowlton Hall on North Pleasant Street. The reporting party could not make out what the parties were saying. The reporting party did not wish to speak to an officer at this time. An officer stated there were no vehicles in the area matching the description.

Fire

3:21 a.m.: F1 was notified of a fire at Maple Hall in the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue. The Amherst Fire Department came to the scene as well. A piece of furniture was on fire. The fire was kept under control. An officer was with three parties from Maple. The residents were allowed to reenter the building, and the officer, Environmental Health and Safety and the state fire marshal were all cleared at the time.

Parking Complaint

4:08 a.m.: A vehicle was parked in the Goodell Hall handicapped lot with no placard displayed. A parking ticket was issued to the vehicle.

2:05 p.m.: A party arrived at the Worcester Dining Commons loading dock on North Pleasant Street to move his vehicle.

Traffic Enforcement

4:30 a.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted by the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue. The operator of a vehicle was stopped in Lot 42 and issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop. The operator of a vehicle was stopped on Commonwealth Avenue by the Commonwealth Honors College and issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop. The operator of a vehicle was stopped on University Drive and issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop.

10:16 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Lincoln Avenue. The operator of a vehicle was stopped on Commonwealth Avenue and issued a verbal warning.

Assist Citizen

9:53 a.m.: A party requested out-of-state registration confirmation.

9:18 p.m.: A reporting party stated she forgot her laptop on top of the pay station in the Campus Center Garage on Campus Center Way. A parking garage attendant has the laptop, and an officer brought the laptop to the UMPD station. The party came from Westfield to pick up the laptop.

Alarm-Fire

11:50 a.m.: F1 and AFD were notified of an accidental or defective alarm at Lincoln Apartments Building 6 on Lincoln Avenue. AFD came to the scene. The alarm was due to cooking bacon.

Lost/Found Property

2:27 p.m.: A reporting party stated her keys were taken from a bathroom while she was in a stall. She reported the stolen keys to her residential assistant and an emergency re-core was done on the room because the reporting party and her roommate felt unsafe knowing that the keys had been taken by someone in the dorm. The re-core cost $200. The reporting party was contacted by the Thoreau Area office staff at 1:00 p.m. that her items were turned into them. Housing advised the reporting party to contact police as she is seeking to have her money returned.

5:06 p.m.: A wallet was found and turned into the Residential Service Desk at Thoreau Hall on Massachusetts Avenue. The wallet was brought to the UMPD station.

Liquor Law Violations

4:09 p.m.: Three parties were issued summonses on Washington Road.

8:27 p.m.: Two parties were issued summonses in Lot 32E on Massachusetts Avenue.

Assist Other Police Departments

6:22 p.m.: A be on the lookout alert was given from APD alerting of an erratic operator. The operator was last seen on East Pleasant Street with no lights on and swerving. The vehicle last turned on Eastman Lane towards Sylvan Residential Area.

Larceny

10:41 p.m.: A reporting party stated headphones were left behind in Herter Hall on Presidents Drive at approximately 7:30 p.m. on a bench near the side entrance. The headphones are described as over-the-ears black Beats and possibly have the reporting party’s name or number on the band. The party went back several hours later (around 10:00 p.m.) to find them gone. A maintainer who was spoken to saw the headphones, left the immediate area and, when returned, no longer saw them there. The maintainer believed they were taken by the homeless persons that were seen in the building before closing.

Suspicious Person/Activity

10:44 p.m.: Two parties at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Presidents Drive. The parties checked ok and did not meet protective custody criteria.

11:41 p.m.: One party on Fearing Street did not meet protective custody criteria.

Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020

Assist Citizen

2:30 a.m.: A residential assistant at Cance Hall on Fearing Street stated there was a male party in the lobby refusing to dispose of alcohol and becoming agitated. The party, a 19-year-old from Needham, was arrested for possession of liquor under the age of 21 and the use of a false liquor ID card.

6:14 a.m.: A reporting party was attempting to locate her son who was a juvenile. The son was supposed to be home at midnight and has not returned. The son called 911 and UMPD earlier in the evening looking for a friend and when he called 911, he gave the location at Kennedy Hall. At the time, the party did not seem in distress. The party was located on the 12th floor of Kennedy.  The subjects made arrangements for their parents to pick them up. AFD was requested for an evaluation for a juvenile that was punched last night. AFD was notified and en route. The subjects’ parents arrived at Kennedy, and AFD arrived at the scene. The parties refused treatment, and both subjects were in the care of their parents.

Suspicious Vehicle

3:19 a.m.: A party was checked ok by Prince Hall on Sunset Avenue.

Accident – Leaving the Scene

12:37 p.m.: A reporting party states her vehicle was struck last week in the Campus Center Parking Garage. An incident report was completed.

4:36 p.m.: A reporting party stated his vehicle was damaged while parked at the Southwest Circle, sometime between yesterday and today. The dent in the passenger’s side door was recorded in an incident report.

Lost/Found Property

2:42 a.m.: A party’s sweater was obtained at the UMPD station. The party was advised to come to the station to pick up her sweater.

12:39 p.m.: A laptop and other belongings owned by a student were found in Herter Hall on Presidents Drive. An officer found the owner in John Adams Hall and returned the items.

2:13 p.m.: A reporting party stated her backpack was stolen from a locked practice room in the Fine Arts Center. Inside of her backpack were various items, including a laptop, and were valued at approximately $1,000. The reporting party later found her backpack in Franklin Dining Commons. No items were missing.

9:30 p.m.: An I.D. was found at the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue, which was brought to the UMPD Station on East Pleasant Street.

Alarm – Fire Trouble

8:26 a.m.: EHS stated an accidental or defective trouble alarm in Van Meter Hall on Clark Hill Road will remain in trouble.

2:02 p.m.: Emergency Health and Safety were notified of an accidental/defective alarm in the Lederle Graduate Research Center Tower. The alarm was cleared before the arrival of F1. The reason for the alarm was unknown.

Alarm – Elevator

3:34 p.m.: Emergency maintenance states an entrapment in elevator six in John Adams Hall on Fearing Street. Four parties stuck on floor 16 were released from the elevator.

Liquor Law Violation

4:25 p.m.: A party was stopped in the Big Y parking lot at 175 University Dr. Alcohol was seized for destruction.

Accident – Property Damage

5:05 p.m.: A reporting party stated two vehicles collided at an intersection between Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue. The reporting party is a passerby and noticed front end damage to one of the vehicles. A second call was received from one of the involved drivers, stating there was no physical impact and no airbag deployment. Ernie’s was contacted and towed the vehicles. The Physical Plant was contacted for cleanup of the scene.

Suspicious Person/Activity

1:04 a.m.: A party outside Lincoln Apartments on Lincoln Avenue was advised to not urinate in public.

3:16 a.m.: An intoxicated male party was in the lobby of John Adams Hall on Fearing Street. The party was not a student. The party was given transport to the Campus Center Hotel.

10:52 a.m.: A reporting party stated there was a white male party wearing striped, flannel pajama pants with a black sweatshirt and a hat. The reporting party stated the subject is being aggressive and kicking and punching the bus shelter enclosure. The party, a 37-year-old from Belchertown, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, trespassing, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer. AFD was requested for an evaluation of a neck injury. An ambulance came to the scene to transport the party to Cooley Dickinson Hospital. The ambulance stopped on Route Nine by Staples after the party slipped out of the restraints and was swinging at medical personnel. An officer stood by with the party at CDH and was then transferred to the Hampshire County House of Correction.

5:14 p.m.: A reporting party stated another party was sawing and hammering at a bicycle locked to a bike rack on the north side of Dickinson Hall in Orchard Hill. The party was described as a white male in a red jacket, green hat and blue pants. He had left the area, headed toward Grayson, but then came back to the bike racks. An officer found the male, who stated the bike was his.

Parking Complaint

5:46 p.m.: A reporting party stated multiple vehicles in double parking spaces, the fire lane and ResLife parking spots. The caller was not currently waiting for a spot in Lot 50 (east of John Quincy Adams Hall).

Traffic Stop

12:16 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield by the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue.

12:35 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield by Lot 33 on University Drive.

12:52 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield on University Drive.

1:02 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation by Lot 34 on Massachusetts Avenue.

2:59 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a marked-lanes violation on University Drive.

3:09 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Southwest Circle.

3:26 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight in Lot 71 (west of the Whitmore Administration Building) on Massachusetts Avenue.

6:37 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Russell Street in Hadley for a defective plate light.

7:24 p.m.: A party was issued a summons for arrest outside of the Recreation Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

8:02 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Nutting Avenue for attempting to renew their registration online.

8:03 p.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle near Lot 21 on Access Road.

8:27 p.m.: A party was issued a summons for arrest outside of the Fine Arts Center in Haigis Mall on Presidents Drive.

9:17 p.m.: A party was issued a summons for arrest.

10:26 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Governors Drive for failure to yield.

11:48 p.m.: A party was issued a summons for arrest.

Assist Agency

6:38 p.m.: F2 and three EMTs were sent to the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue for the hockey game against UConn.

Alarm – Fire

8:27 p.m.: F1 stated a burning smell and a haze coming from Cance Hall in Southwest, but could not find the source. No alarm was showing on the panel, but F1 pulled one to empty the building. The source was determined to be an overheated fan.

Intoxicated Person

12:23 a.m.: An intoxicated male party was conscious, semi-alert and not vomiting in Lot 50 on Hampshire Dining Commons Road. The party was able to walk back to his dorm in Emerson Hall and is able to care for himself. He will spend the night in his dorm. He did not meet protective custody criteria.

1:09 a.m.: An intoxicated party was placed into protective custody.

1:46 a.m.: An intoxicated party was removed to the hospital.

1:57 a.m.: An intoxicated party at Crampton Hall on Sunset Avenue was removed to the hospital.

2:07 a.m.: An intoxicated male party in the fourth floor bathroom of Chadbourne Hall on Orchard Hill Drive was semi-conscious and semi-alert. The party checked ok.

2:54 a.m.: An intoxicated male party was found unconscious on a toilet in the third-floor men’s bathroom of Butterfield Hall of Clark Hill Road. The party eventually became conscious but did not know where he was. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

8:30 p.m.: An intoxicated person was removed to the hospital.

10:17 p.m.: A reporting party stated an intoxicated party who was conscious and somewhat alert in Grayson Hall. The man did not meet the protective custody criteria.

11:42 p.m.: A party on Sunset Avenue did not meet the protective custody criteria.

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Traffic Stop

12:00 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle near Lot 22A (west of University Drive) for defective equipment.

12:16 a.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle near the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue.

12:49 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle near Lot 71 on Massachusetts Avenue.

12:58 a.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue for driving the wrong way on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:04 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Clark Hill Road for failure to stop.

1:13 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Fearing Street, east of Lincoln, for speed and failure to yield for pedestrians.

1:20 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Hicks Way for a speeding occurrence on Commonwealth Avenue.

1:22 a.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle on the lower part of Massachusetts Avenue.

1:50 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue near Boyden Gymnasium for failure to yield.

10:09 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle near Worcester Dining Commons on North Pleasant Street for speeding.

4:21 p.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle Massachusetts Avenue and University Drive.

7:13 p.m.:  A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Governors Drive and Commonwealth Avenue for operating without headlights.

11:51 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Fearing Street and University Drive for a defective headlight and having their driver’s license in hand.

Intoxicated Person

12:00 a.m.: An intoxicated party in Emerson Hall was issued a summons for arrest.

12:33 a.m.: An intoxicated party was removed to the hospital.

1:10 a.m.: An intoxicated party near Lot 32W (south of Massachusetts Avenue) did not meet the protective custody criteria.

1:32 a.m.: An intoxicated party was placed into protective custody.

2:13 a.m.: An intoxicated party was removed to the hospital.

3:06 a.m.: An intoxicated party signed a refusal for medical attention.

Parking Complaint

12:27 a.m.: A parking ticket was issued to a vehicle in Lot 32W (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

6:18 p.m.: A reporting party stated no ResLife parking spaces were available in Lot 50F (west of Patterson Hall, south of John Adams Hall). The owner of one of the vehicles was contacted and stated they would move the vehicle. The reporting party requested tickets be left on offending vehicles.

9:01 p.m.: A parking ticket was issued for a vehicle outside of Baker Hall for parking in a fire lane.

Alarm – Fire

12:47 a.m.: F1 was notified of a pre-alarm from Washington Hall in Southwest. The full alarm was then triggered and AFD was en route. The system was reset after it was determined there was no fire. The cause of the alarm was from cooking smoke on floor 19.

Suspicious Person/Activity

1:02 a.m.: Two parties on Clark Hill Road were advised not to urinate in public.

1:29 a.m.: An officer investigated a party on Massachusetts Avenue.

6:47 a.m.: A reporting party stated a van with a New York registration pulled up in between the Mullins Center and the Practice Rink and is trying the door handles. An officer stated that it appeared to be a miscommunication regarding a vendor. The officer then checked with other staff from the Mullins Center, and the party was supposed to be there.

Liquor Law Violations

2:06 a.m.: A party was issued a summons for arrest.

Suspicious Vehicle

8:26 p.m.: A party unloading a bike outside of Boyden Gymnasium was checked upon.

Alarm – Fire Trouble

4:39 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental/defective alarm at the Lederle Graduate Research Center Tower. The alarm was cleared before the arrival of F1.

Alarm – (Prefire)

6:29 p.m.: F1 reset an accidental/defective alarm in Sycamore House in the Commonwealth Honors College.

Disturbance

9:06 p.m.: The reporting party stated that he was just threatened by someone over a parking spot in Lot 64 (near Dickinson Hall). The other party got out of a silver Subaru Impreza and left the area.

Assist Citizen

10:45 p.m.: A reporting party from Sunderland stated they were receiving annoying and harassing messages from a third party. An officer was able to speak with her at length and ultimately referred her to the Sunderland Police Department.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected]. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected].