Former UMass star Tre Mitchell announces commitment to Texas

Mitchell averaged 18.8 points for the Minutemen in 2020-21
Parker Peters/Daily Collegian

March 15 marked the date in which Tre Mitchell announced he was entering the transfer portal. After two years with the Massachusetts men’s basketball team, Mitchell will join the Texas for the 2021-22 season.

Mitchell averaged 18.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and 1.2 steals per game in the 2020-21 season with the Minutemen. UMass lost in the second round of the Atlantic 10 tournament to St. Louis, finishing the season with an 8-7 record overall.

The Longhorns are coming off of a conference title in a stacked Big-12 conference. They were unable to carry any momentum into the NCAA Tournament, as they were upset by 14-seed Abilene Christian in the first round.

https://twitter.com/tre_mitch33/status/1404946048188026882

Texas finished with A 19-8 record and has a new head coach in Chris Beard. Beard was previously at Texas Tech and led the Red Raiders to the National Championship in 2019, where they lost to Virginia.

Mitchell is joining notable transfers such as Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop, Dylan Disu and Devin Askew.

Allen was first team Pac-12, Bishop led the nation in field goal percentage and also helped Creighton make it to the Sweet 16 in the 2021 NCAA Tournament. Disu led the Southeastern conference (SEC) in rebounds with 9.2 a game. Askew was a touted point guard prospect for Kentucky but had an underwhelming freshman year.

Mitchell is now the second player from last year’s UMass roster to move to a power five school, as Ronnie DeGray III committed to Missouri earlier in the offseason.

Joey Aliberti can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @JosephAliberti1