Tanning still popular among students despite cancer dangers

As the sky clears and the semester ends, University of Massachusetts students seem to be aware of the risks of skin cancer, but many are continuing to tan themselves, despite apparently lethal dangers.

In turn cases of melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer, is on the rise, according to the World Health Organization, especially in places where people are fairest-skinned: North America, Australia, New Zealand and northern Europe. The WHO reports that one in two forms of cancers found in people in the United States are skin-related, while around the world, the figure is one in three — a difference of 50 percent.

The causes of the increased risk on this continent are, without doubt, tanning, according to the American Cancer Society. But the risks of tanning may be worth it, according to several UMass students.

Vinny Russo, a sophomore majoring in history said, “When you tan, you feel better about yourself. In the winter you turn to that pasty white color; it just doesn’t look healthy.”

During the summer Russo is a full-time lifeguard at Lexington Park and Recreations pool. Although this will be his fifth year working at the pool, Russo said he does not frequently wear sun block to protect himself. He says he is fully aware of the possible effects but is not worried about melanoma.

“If I’m not going to get burned, I’m not concerned with it (cancer),” said Russo.

Because he does not burn easily, Russo said he is unlikely to contract melanoma.

On the other hand, Russo does remind the young children he guards to wear sunscreen.

“The children just aren’t old enough to make educated decisions I am making,” he said. “I am fully aware of the health risks.”

Melanoma is the most deadly form of skin cancer but is completely curable if treated early.The two main causes of melanoma remain over-exposure to the sun and the use of tanning beds, according to the American Cancer Society.

The WHO recommends that children under the age of 18 not use a tanning sun bed. Massachusetts state law says that no one under the age of 18 can use a sun bed without written consent by a parent or guardian, and no one under 14 can use a sun bed unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.

The cancer risks, however, haven’t stopped Julie Wong, a sophomore from Boston majoring in Hospitality, ‘ Tourism Management, who said she went to a tanning salon just before a recent trip to Florida.

“Tanning makes you look toned,” said Wong. “I don’t want to look white; I want a nice healthy tan, not pasty.”

Wong said she also knows the risks of the tanning salon and sunbathing.

“Cancer is a scary thought, but I do it anyway,” she said. “It’s just like people who smoke. It doesn’t affect me unless I know a friend or family member gets skin cancer from the sun,” she said. “I’m addicted to sunbathing in the summer, not the tanning bed. You feel better after you go to the beach, compared to a tanning salon.”

Melissa Pappas, a sophomore majoring in communication, said she likes to sunbathe, recreationally scuba dive, snowboard and play in the UMass marching band. While outside, she said, she often goes without sunblock, or uses only SPF 15.

“I love the sunshine, that vitamin D. I just can’t get enough,” Pappas said. “No one in my family has ever had it. Skin cancer does not hit close to home.”

Pappas said she likes the tan she receives from sunbathing and her various outdoor activities, and like Russo, she rarely gets sunburned while outside.

“I’m Mediterranean olive,” she said. “Some call it ‘olive’. I call it ‘hot’!”

The sun can cause some serious health risks, according to Philip C. Nasca, professor and associate dean for graduate education in the UMass School of Public Health and Health Sciences.

“While you’re young, tanning looks good,” said Nasca. “But as the years progress, the skin, as a direct result of tanning begins becomes damaged and leathery.”

Nasca urged students to use common sense when in the sun.

“All things in life need to be in moderation,” he said. “The sun is a good source of vitamin D, but only in moderation.”

Nasca recommends that people being exposed to the sun follow the directions to re-apply an application of sun block of SPF 30.

“Laying out in the sun for two hours at a time doesn’t make any sense,” Nasca said.

It’s particularly dangerous for people who have sunburned early, he said. A person is more susceptible to melanoma if, as a child, he had severe sunburns. The sun may damage a child’s skin to the extent that the body is unable to sufficiently repair it.

Nasca said the problem with tanning salons is they are not sufficiently regulated or inspected and as a result, tanning booth timers or other controls may not be up to par. He recommends that if you cannot be dissuaded from tanning, go to a place that specializes in it. A place that may have more to lose by using shoddy equipment, as compared to a establishment with a single tanning machine.

The Collegian contacted five establishments in the Amherst area with tanning equipment for comment for this story, but none returned calls.

Massachusetts state law requires the posting of a list of health dangers at tanning salons. Parental signature is required for minors, but parents do not need to be present and if a person is under the age of 14 may use a tanning device if accompanied by an adult.

The New York State legislature is considering a bill similar to Massachusetts law regulating tanning salons, but with more restrictions. Under New York’s proposed bill, any child under the age of 13 would be prohibited from using public tanning equipment, people between the age of 14 to 18 would be required to have a parent or guardian present at the signing for permission to tan and any person over the age of 18 would have to sign to acknowledge the dangers of using tanning equipment.

Stephanie Fung, a UMass freshman from New York City majoring in accounting, said, “I don’t think there should be restrictions in New York. It’s just the same as smoking at the age of 18. People still smoke under-age; the law is not going to change anything.”

Fung said that while living in New York last year, she did at least six sessions in a tanning salon.

“Who doesn’t tan? Who doesn’t want to look good,” she asked. “Isn’t that what it comes down to?”

Fung said she stopped going to a tanning booth because it costs too much, but she still goes sunbathing. If the tanning salon were cheaper she said, she would definitely continue going.

“The second you turn pale, you want to stay tan.” she said. “People are naive, everyone knows it’s bad for you. They will do it anyway, even if it’s bad for you.”