Program helps students with substance abuse problems

Health Educator Diane Fedorchak, has started a program for students at the University of Massachusetts who are sober or are interested in getting sober.

Fresh and Sober is a “work in progress” that began taking shape a year ago. Every other Tuesday, students come together to share their experience and concerns in a confidential setting. Fedorchak encourages any student who is in recovery or is concerned about their drinking or drugging to attend. The final meeting of the semester will be at 5 p.m. today at University Health Services in room 302.

The primary focus of this program is to bring students who are troubled by their alcohol or drug abuse and students who are in recovery together. Fedorchak stated that the sober members of this program are individuals who are involved in a 12-step program. These students were all unable to control their drinking and/or drug usage in the past and have found a way to remain sober.

Fedorchak believes that it can be difficult for sober students to adjust to the social climate of the University. Despite the large numbers of UMass students who do drink to get drunk and regularly use illegal drugs, she said, “Not everyone here drinks and not everyone gets drunk.”

Fedorchak is also concerned with the message the University and the faculty sends regarding alcohol. Members of ‘Fresh and Sober’ have expressed concern about the way in which professors speak about alcohol consumption.

Some of the inspiration for this program came from an incoming student in recovery, who had contacted Fedorchak. She said she felt compelled to build a place where students in recovery could come together to form a community. Fedorchak thinks that it is important for students who are struggling with addiction issues to realize that members of the UMass community are staying sober and have found another way of life.

Fedorchak stressed that the meetings include, “Talking in a non-judgmental, non-confrontational way; just sharing.” She reiterated that all people and the information they share at each meeting is kept confidential.

As a health educator, Fedorchak says that her main responsibility is to offer a, “harm-reduction approach, to provide people with the facts to lower their risks.”

She pointed out that alcohol and drugs are just two dangerous areas; sex, food, and stress are also issues that can cause major problems. Bedtime Players, a Health Education theatre troupe, puts on a series of short skits regarding issues like alcohol, drugs, and sex. The performances are done in the residence halls throughout campus.

Fedorchak said that Fresh and Sober includes more than just the biweekly meetings. She receives phone calls from students who are concerned about their habits. She also receives calls from concerned parents. Fedorchak considers herself to be an advocate for students who are in recovery and students who are looking to make a change. She is also working hard to distribute related informational brochures and booklets around campus.

“The more materials out there, the more they will call,” she said.

Diane Fedorchak can be reached at 577-5188. All conversations are confidential.