Take off your clothes for charity

Courtesy of Facebook.com
Looking for a way to gain community service credit? Is it time to update your closet, but it’s difficult to find a local bargain?

Just in-time for the weather to change, North America’s largest international, non-profit clothing-swapping organization, the S.W.A.P. Team, has added a new location to its growing list of centers, and has arrived in the Northampton-area, with the primary intention of attracting students from the Five College Consortium.

Founded by and operated by President Aleece Germano, the organization hosts “Take Off Your Clothes,” events, which preserve more than 40,000 items that North America would otherwise send to landfills through swapping and donations to partner charities, such as The Salvation Army in Canada and Juri Boutique.

The team is maintained through a cycle of volunteer efforts, which its website promotes, and maintains profiles with social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter to help begin new chapters, recruit volunteers, publicize events and collect clothing and monetary donations.

Abaigeal Duda, a former Pioneer Valley resident and Mount Holyoke College graduate, is the director of the Boston and the new Northampton S.W.A.P. chapters. She said she first learned about the group through Germano, as they were co-workers.

Duda said she believes the Valley’s vintage taste and penchant for consignment stores will make the S.W.A.P. mission a success.

“Knowing there is an eclectic sense of fashion in this area, clothing swaps are sure to offer a lot of very interesting finds for the style hunters,” she said.

Duda also felt that swapping itself will be a hit in the college-dominated area, as she feels inquisitive young people will be drawn to the legacy of the clothes they will exchange.

“[Swapping] allows you the chance to hear people’s stories and background. In doing so, one is able to see the transition from enabling another to move forward in an aspect of life,” she said.

As the program is a non-profit, students can also log volunteer hours for a variety of needs through the S.W.A.P. Team. Some extracurricular activities such as B.A.S.I.C., Brothers and Sisters in Christ, have already brought awareness to the campaign.

One University of Massachusetts student said she feels that the program has the potential to be a real boost to those in need, but cautioned that students will need to rethink materialistic desires for the program to truly take off.

“I think this program will be very helpful,” said freshman Cynthia Kyei-Akomeah. “It will aid those that go through difficulties that are unexpected. I hope it will be successful, but it all depends on students’ willingness to actually give up clothes that are worth wearing. We are in an age where fashion is key, and unfortunately, many are very attached to their material items such as clothes.”

According to Duda, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports that people in the U.S., on average, throw away more than 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per person per year. Keeping that in mind, she added that there are more than 37,000 faculty, staff and students in the Five College area alone.

With greater communicative connectivity than ever in the digital age, swaps have even taken flight on the Internet.

“If it works out, usually you and others communicate and swap. With the methods of the S.W.A.P. Team, we hold direct events and advertising campaigns in which participation is encouraged, versus months of trying to find things,” said Duda. “It’s more immediate.”

Although the organization is global, Duda explained that S.W.A.P. Team also grounds itself in the communities where it operates.

“We work with local designers and independent clothing retailers in the community,” she said. “This kind of collaboration makes for exciting events and helps small businesses to gain visibility.”

As for a sales pitch for students, Duda touted how enjoyable the program can be.

“This is one of the most fun things that you can do to help the environment and others in your community,” she exclaimed. “It not only makes a strong social and environmental impact, but getting involved is an absolute blast. I’m looking forward to bringing the entire community together and swapping “till we drop.”

Additional information can be found at the Team’s website, theswapteam.org or by contacting Abaigeal Duda at [email protected].

Stephanie Anjos can be reached at [email protected].