Minutewomen extend streak

The women’s ice hockey team carried a two-game unbeaten streak with them this weekend and continued it in thrilling fashion by beating and drawing with previously No. 1 and undefeated Lindenwood, 4-3 and 3-3, respectively.

The Minutewomen improve to 4-8-3 while Lindenwood drops to 17-1-2.

The first game on Saturday marked a back-and-forth battle. The Minutewomen were down 3-1 entering the third period and scored two goals in the final six minutes including the go-ahead goal on a power-play with two minutes left by freshman defender Rachel Gantt.

In the second matchup, the Minutewomen held a 2-0 lead with goals by freshmen sisters Chelsea and Raschelle Jaramillo, but let up three straight goals, forcing themselves to come from behind again. The Minutewomen tied the game with a goal by freshman forward Siobhan Elvin.

Clutch goalkeeping was a staple for the Minutewomen all weekend. Sophomore goalie Kelsey Magrane shined as she was peppered with shots, managing to save 45-of-48 en route to upsetting the No.1 team in the country.

Freshman goalie Chelsea Corell performed just as well, only letting three past, leading the Minutewomen to a stalemate in the second game.

Victories against Lindenwood are few and far between according to UMass coach Chris Cobb

“[Lindenwood] have won the last three national championships and have beaten us in the past two national tournaments,” Cobb said.

Lindenwood was 17-0-1 entering the weekend.

The Lady Lions have always posed problems for the Minutewomen, not just the past two seasons, but ever since they began playing. The win this weekend marks the first-ever win against them.

“We now know that we can beat anyone in the country, it’s just a matter of going out there and doing it,” Cobb said. “I think [beating Lindenwood] gives us confidence more than anything.”

The coach is proud of his squad for their performances this weekend.

“We showed a lot of fight and we never gave up,” he said. “We were down in both games and came back.”

Ranked 10th in the nation, UMass hopes to earn a spot in this year’s national tournament which will be held in Kalamazoo, Miss. Only the top eight advance.

The Minutewoman will host Colorado State, a team that they have never faced before, on Thursday and Saturday and look to continue their recent run of success.

Patrick Keller can be reached at [email protected].