Gelaye appointed new dean of students

Courtesy Facebook

On Wednesday, Enku Gelaye was appointed associate vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life and dean of students at the University of Massachusetts.

The decision has come after a national search.

In a press release from the University, Vice Chancellor for Campus Affairs and Student Life Jean Kim expressed her approval of the choice.           

Gelaye, who holds a law degree. from the University of Georgia and a Bachelor’s of Science degree from the University of Tennessee, is currently the executive officer for the vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of California, Los Angeles. Gelaye will succeed Jo-Anne Vanin, who is retiring after 22 years.

“Enku has significant expertise as a student conduct administrator, policy and research advisor, incubator of new projects, crisis management specialist, student advocate and gifted collaborator with students, faculty, staff and the community,” said Kim in a release. “She has broad experience in student affairs, university management and an unwavering commitment to student success. I am delighted to have such a talented, engaged professional to join the leadership team of the student affairs and campus life division.”

According to Kim, Gelaye will take her new position on April 4.

Before joining the UCLA staff, Gelaye served as interim director of student judicial affairs and community standards at the University of Southern California.

The Division of Campus Affairs and Students Life include programs and services relating to the student experience on campus, including Career Services, Housing and Residential Life, New Student Orientation and University Health Services.

– Collegian News Staff