Get in shape for spring without leaving campus

Hannah Cohen/Collegian
Hannah Cohen/Collegian

The dreary weather on campus has caused a prolonged period of students hiding under their sweatshirts and layered cloths, but spring time is just around the corner and so it’s time to shed a few pounds before you shed the layered look.

If you are not already using the amazing University of Massachusetts Recreation Center, then take advantage of the breaks you have between classes and spend an hour or so breaking a sweat. Try taking a class at the gym to motivate you to work hard. When you take a fitness class, you have an instructor who knows what they are doing. They combine different movements to work target areas of your body. You’ll also often find yourself pushing through a tough workout when in a group. There is a great selection of classes the Rec Center provides that are targeted towards all levels of physical ability. Try cardio kickboxing, and use boxing moves to tone your entire body while listening to upbeat music. Hop on a bike at spin class and push yourself to continuously spin during an hour-long period. Try a hip-hop class where you’ll incorporate freestyle moves and original hip-hop choreography for a full body workout. You can also try a Zumba class, Pilates, yoga, fitness swim and core strengthening to get your body into beach shape.

If you’re not the type who enjoys taking group classes, then try a few of these workout tips on the third floor of the gym. Break up your cardio workout into three, 20-minute segments. Start with 20 minutes on the treadmill, and then head over to an elliptical for your second set followed by your final set of 20 minutes on a bike. If you haven’t been to the gym in a long time and that sounds too ambitious for you, then try 10 or 15 minute sets. One of the best things you can do at the gym to enhance your workout, is to confuse your muscles by constantly changing your activity. Moving from one machine to the other will also make your time at the gym less boring. Do not cool down in between these sets; you don’t want your heart rate to drop too low as you switch machines.

If you decide that 20 minutes on the treadmill was enough for you, then push yourself to try 10, 60 second wall sits before you leave the gym. To do this, stand with your back against a wall. Slide down the wall while bending your knees until your legs form a 90-degree angle (as if you were sitting on an invisible chair). Hold this position for 60 seconds, stand and take a 20 second break, then repeat 10 times. By doing this you’ll get some extra tone in your gluts, quads and hamstrings. You don’t have to do 10 the first few times you try this. Start with three sets, then six, then nine and finally 10. Once you reach 10 sets, challenge yourself. During your wall sit, (while keeping your heels on the floor) raise your right foot, then left, then both. Repeat this throughout the 60 seconds of your fifth and tenth rep, and your legs will feel toned and ready for the beach.

Going to the gym will not only help you shed a few unwanted pounds, it will also make you healthier, which is something to strive for year round. Take advantage of the great recreational facility we have on campus and get ready for spring weather!

Kaitlyn Bigica can be reached at [email protected].