Referendum for Readership

A program that distributed some regional and national newspapers to members of the campus community for free was cancelled earlier this year. Now, students at the University of Massachusetts will have the option in this week’s Student Government Association elections of supporting a measure to bring it back.

Courtesy DB-2/Flickr
Courtesy DB-2/Flickr

Last year, the SGA Senate voted to end the Collegiate Readership Program – which distributed the Boston Globe, USA Today and the New York Times at spots throughout campus for no charge – claiming, according to the referendum question on the election ballot, that it was a “waste of natural resources and of money given the switch to electronic media.”

But that referendum in this week’s SGA election gives voters a few different options to support or not support the program. One potential answer to this question gives voters the option to support the Collegiate Readership Program in full. Another lets voters voice their support to instate a program in which just the New York Times would be brought in. The third option does not support any or either program.

According to the wording of the referendum, the Collegiate Readership Program would use $45,000 from the emergency fund used to give to Registered Student Organizations in times of need. However, the cost of just having the New York Times distributed for free would only cost about $11,400, according to information included in the referendum question.

If either program does get introduced or re-introduced, it would go into effect next fall.

I believe that the point of this referendum was to gauge the students’ opinion on the program,” said Speaker of the SGA Senate Jarred Rose. “It was generally believed that both sides had good points to be made for the program. While I can’t promise it because the Ways and Means Committee hasn’t been appointed, I think that they would reinstate the program if the student body decided they wanted it.”

When asked why the Senate decided to propose the New York Times as the choice paper, Rose said it was because the New York Times was most popular paper in the program.

The New York Times was the most popular of the papers, but the USA Today ran the old program,” he said. “We have been in touch with the New York Times and we would be able to get just their paper if we decided to do so.”

It is possible that they could pick a different paper, especially since the Globe is owned by the Times,” Rose continued.

Zac Broughton, a senator from last year’s senate who is now seeking re-election, also commented on the referendum. While on the Ways and Means Committee last year, he voted to keep the Collegiate Readership Program in place.

I am still in support of the readership program,” said Broughton. “It allows students to read the news everyday right in front of them. It’s an awesome way for them to stay up to date in current issues across the United States and around the world.”

Broughton also criticized the decision made by the committee to cut the program.

The committee voted to get rid of it because it was so expensive to continue,” he said. “The committee thought you could access the articles for free through the library website, but I discovered the other day that is not the case.”

I feel the SGA needs to bring it back to keep students engaged and informed,” Broughton added. “It has been shown as a popular service on campus that I hope to bring back.”

Nate Lamb, another senator who was a part of the Ways and Means Committee last year and voted to end the Collegiate Readership Program, said he does not think the program is the best way to use student funds.

The Ways and Means Committee, myself included, feel that funding the Collegiate Readership Program is an irresponsible use of student money because the University provides access to online news sources,” he said.

Many more students that I know get their news online rather than [through] paper sources,” added Lamb.

Lamb also noted that not funding the program would deter a Student Activities Trust Fund (SATF) fee increase by the SGA, something he said “can and should be avoided.”

He said that the SGA will listen to whatever the students say in their response.

We are here to fight for what students want, and if they express that the readership program is worth $45,000 of their dollars then that is a huge factor in our decision making process, as it should be,” he added

Lindsay Vitale, another senator seeking re-election who was also a member of last year’s Ways and Means Committee, said that if the program receives enough student support in the election, the students should get the newspapers back.

We are here to serve the student body,” she said. “So if it’s the readership program they want, it is the readership program they’ll get.”

Their decision will be a huge factor in our decision making this year in Ways and Means,” added Vitale. “This cut has halted the raising of the SATF fee students must pay every year.”

A few students interviewed yesterday seemed to support the sentiments of Lamb and Vitale.

Maybe offering a less amount of paper would be a good way to combat the program,” said senior kinesiology major Melanie Cross, who noted that she used to love doing crossword puzzles in the newspaper.

I think maybe offering just one paper would be more economical,” she added. “I would read the Globe or the Times,” she stated.

Senior psychology major Aaron Berard said he wishes papers were more readily available to him, but noted that he does think that $45,000 is a lot of money to spend on the program.

I’m taking a political science class and our professor encourages us to read the papers,” Berard said. “It’s a good idea, but it seems like a lot of money to spend on one thing right now.”

Berard, though, agreed with Cross that he would like to keep the New York Times if it came down to choosing a specific paper.

Senior psychology major Rachel Poulton said that while it has been a long time since she was in a dining hall [where several of the newspaper locations were], she thinks the initiative is a good program.

I remember having the papers in Campus Center, and I thought it was a good program to have on campus for free,” explained Poulton.

Senior mechanical engineering major Kelley Kolb disagreed, saying that the program is a waste of money.

A lot of stuff is just online for free,” she said. “You’re still getting the articles, just not reading an actual paper.”

The elections began yesterday and are taking place online until this Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].