The Sounds of Winter: Winter Playlist

Nothing except the rush of final exams brings quite as much excitement for winter break. As students may drop to their knees saying “thank you for letting me get through this semester,” they rise, shoulders relieved of the weight of hard work and feel much cheerier. And then, it’s time to do a little winter jig.

This playlist is for those who treasure winter and look forward to it every passing of fall. It’s void of holiday numbers like “Jingle Bell Rock” or “Walking In A Winter Wonderland.” These songs are each their own unique snowflake. There’s a mix of soft and simple songs appropriate for hosting dinner parties, as well as songs that will get your blood pumping.

Sing like no one is listening as you replay memories of this winter break. This is the playlist for winter lovers that will help carry you into this semester before spring blooms.

Frank Sinatra – “Violets For Your Furs”

One of the greatest jazz songs released on Frank Sinatra’s “Songs for Young Lovers” album in 1954, this classic love song’s lyrics and music entrance listeners with Sinatra’s deep croon. Bolstered by a lush orchestration with chimes, a full string section, and smooth, jazzy woodwinds, the instrumental accompaniment perfectly complements the tender lyricism of Old Blue Eyes. What a charmer!

Matt Pond – “Snow Day”

Pond’s “Snow Day” hits our list not only because of its appropriate title, but because of the memories and emotions it conjures up in the inner child of even the Scroogiest of Scrooges. For those who have a knack for remembering commercials, this was featured in one by Starbucks for the 2010 holiday season. Snow days are a familiar event for New England’s students. All the fun of missing school, sleeping in and slowly sipping a warm cup of cocoa is captured through the song’s playful guitar strums. Pond’s soft-spoken lyrics evoke peaceful images of snow-covered landscapes. The song’s delicate string arrangements sweeten its sound.

Lenka – “All My Bells Are Ringing”

This song is for the West Coast winters, where the weather is warmer but the winter cheer remains. It was featured on the “Hotel Cafe Presents…Winter Songs” in 2008. The drums and Lenka’s high-pitched feminine vocals match up nicely to the song’s tolling bells. The song leaves you feeling anything but cold. It’s a great Christmas song for long distance lovers, as she sings “Take my heart this Christmas/Take it wherever you go.”

Dirty Boyz – “Crunk Christmas”

This is a song for those with a sense of humor, and it’s a throwback that retains its novelty if played only during the winter months. So what if it’s late January? Drink your eggnog, adult hot chocolate, gin ‘n’ juice and champagne, because holiday parties don’t have to end with the holidays. And the more you sip, the more you’ll smile at this tongue-in-cheek Christmas-themed rap. Cheers to your crunked-up Christmas.

George Winston – “The Holly and the Ivy”

Fans of “A Charlie Brown Christmas” might appreciate this song because it carries a reminiscent euphonic piano tone, but with its own classical spin. Bring your iPod out to the snow drifts and relive childhood through sledding and snowball fights, and all the excitement of games will be instantly enhanced by the beautiful piano key strokes.

Eisley – “Winter Song”

Long drives through the Pioneer Valley after fresh snowfalls are made more enchanting by Eisley’s hauntingly belted number “Winter Song.” She eloquently describes a glowing winter evening with “chimney smoke billowing \ snowflakes on my lashes \ oh, starry night \ I was walking and singing this song.” Her child-like, yet powerful vocals coupled with not-so-cryptic lyrics swings listeners right into a snowy scene with ease.

Fleet Foxes – “White Winter Hymnal”

This indie song draws vocal influence from Appalachian folk carols, with one member singing and being joined in turn, call-and-response style, by several other voices. “White Winter Hymnal” features a dulcet chant repeated thrice throughout the song that allows listeners to bounce along to both the resounding beats beneath the lyrics and to the intonation of the lyrics themselves. They are pretty, understated and peaceful, and the song does its part to remind listeners that winter sounds, such as the wind or steady beating of people’s footsteps can keep a distinct rhythm. It doesn’t hurt that Fleet Foxes sound like a band that rehearses in the snow.

Alexa Wilansky can be reached at [email protected] and Alyssa Creamer can be reached at [email protected]