YCMP, what about me?

Justin Surgent/Collegian
Justin Surgent/Collegian

Last week I strolled into Blue Wall hoping I would find the perfect meal to satisfy my mid-day hunger. To my delight, I was able to find this in the form of a very attractive slice of Buffalo chicken pizza. Somehow, in the midst of my admiring the slice, the sign above the glass caught my eye. “Any Two Slices and Fountain Drink – YCMP.” “Two slices!” I thought, “I’ll take it.” So, like a fool, I grabbed a second slice and went to use my $8.75 YCMP swipe. The Buffalo Chicken was great; I have no complaints about that. It was everything else that was the problem. Take a second to think about this one. Two slices of pizza and one drink for $8.75. Now I’m no economist, but that seems a little high. And this gets me thinking, what exactly is the deal with YCMP? Let’s investigate.

There are three offers with YCMP: Commuter, Gold and Platinum. We are going to take a look at Gold because that’s the plan that got me into this pizza-pricing fiasco. Gold offers 100 meal swipes for a seemingly reasonable price of $1,053 per semester. But wait. Is this not the same meal plan that claims to be taking $8.75 for every swipe? If a student swipes one hundred times, he should have spent $875, but that’s not the price of the meal plan. The meal plan costs $1,053. What happened to those other $178? Don’t worry if your head is spinning, mine was too.

Did UMass just pull a fast one on me? I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. YCMP does offer access to dining halls for free on Fridays, and I am grateful for that. Perhaps this can offer us an explanation to where that extra $178 is going. So I did a little more math based on the fact that there are thirteen Fridays in the semester. If I manage to make it to a dining common on all thirteen, which is highly doubtful, I will have eaten $113.75 worth of UMass Dining food, which is still short of that $178. So apparently, Friday night excursions to the dining hall are not anywhere near as free as I thought. And besides, it is Friday, and the temptation to splurge on some take-out is far too great.

All of these issues still revolve around the assumption that I am going to use all of my swipes. Imagine there is one week left in the semester, and I still have 20-something swipes left. I can’t let those go to waste, because the money has already been paid. If I don’t use it, I lose sleep. Now I’ll be buying 40 bags of potato chips and multiple cases of energy drinks just so I can kill off all the swipes I shouldn’t have bought in the first place.

Sad as this all is, there is something that can be done. Pay as little as possible on the meal plan and buy the Commuter plan. Put the money that you have now saved with buying a smaller plan onto UCard Debit. Now you can ask the cashier at Blue Wall to put those two slices and a drink on debit and save some money. Don’t fall for the same tricks I did. Do the math and make the correct decision.

Kurt Coleman can be reached at [email protected].