Accident victim in good condition

The University of Massachusetts student who was hit by a vehicle on North Pleasant Street near the Fine Arts Center early Sunday morning is reportedly in good condition.

The student hit was identified as Brandan Wall, a 20-year-old student at UMass majoring in sports management.

Lt. Ron Young of the Amherst Police Department released Wall’s name late yesterday afternoon.

Following the accident, Wall was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. According to medical center spokesperson Jane Albert, he is in “good condition” and is stable. Due to doctor-patient confidentiality, she said she could not go into further detail on his condition.

According to Wall’s Facebook page, he attended Mainland Regional High School in Linwood, N.J., graduating in 2009.

The driver of the vehicle was identified as Michael LoPilato by Young. He is a 21-year-old student at UMass from Stoneham.

The incident occurred on North Pleasant Street by the Fine Arts Center on the UMass campus. Amherst Police responded to the call at approximately 1:04 a.m.

Young said there is no indication that LoPilato was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. No charges have been filed against LoPilato by the Amherst Police Department. Additionally, Young added, “the accident is still under investigation.”

Michelle Williams can be reached at [email protected].