The week in review

The University’s legal troubles continued this week, as the Collegian covered two developing lawsuits against UMass and its  administrators.

UMass student Cullen Roe, expelled prior to his disciplinary hearing due to his actions during the rowdy post-Super Bowl gathering in Southwest Residential Area, filed suit against the University for Code of Student Conduct and Constitutional due process of law violations. Roe was given an “interim restriction” under the Code of Student Conduct, which allows administrators to suspend or expel students before their formal hearings if they are deemed an “imminent threat” to the campus.

Roe was scheduled to have a hearing in Springfield Federal District Court on Wednesday; that hearing, however, was cancelled Tuesday for reasons which neither the University nor Roe’s family will comment on.

An officer from the The University of Massachusetts Police Department filed a class action lawsuit against the University, the UMPD, and administrators from both institutions on Feb. 3, alleging that his and other officers’ rights had been violated by the undisclosed placement of audio-recording cameras throughout the new police station which opened March 2011. UMPD officials have stated in both an internal police memo and a memo written for the Court that they had no knowledge of the audio recording features of the cameras, and that those capabilities were deactivated in mid January as soon as the audio surveillance was discovered.

Brandan Wall, a 20 year old UMass student, was hit by a car on North Pleasant St. early Sunday morning. While Wall’s condition was not immediately made public, a spokesperson from Baystate Medical Center in Springfield said Tuesday that Wall was in good condition.

Dan Glaun can be reached for comment at [email protected].