Karl Rove to speak at UMass

MCT

Former Deputy Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor to President George W. Bush, Karl Rove, will speak at the  University of Massachusetts [1] on Tuesday about America’s future and moving forward, as well as the future of the Republican Party.

Rove is often considered to have been “The Architect” of the Republican presidential campaigns in 2000 and 2004. He was also called “the greatest political mind of his generation and probably of any generation” by The Weekly Standard.

The UMass Republican Club is sponsoring Rove’s speech and admission is free and open to the public. [2] A question and answer session will take place following Rove’s speech for interested audience members.[3] .

“He will be speaking about the GOP moving forward as well as America’s future,” David Kaufman, president of the Republican Club, said in an email interview. “He will probably touch upon the idea of the GOP seeming ‘out of touch,’ as well as the goal of the PAC’s [sic] and foundations he has started to combat radical conservatives being pushed through Senate and Congressional primaries.”

The American Friends Service Committee is planning a protest of Rove’s speech beginning at 6 p.m. on the steps of the Student Union, which Kaufman said that he expected. The slogan for the committee’s protest is, “Let’s give Mr. Rove the greeting that he has earned!”

“The head of the protests and I have been exchanging email, though he cannot seem to understand the ignorance the protest symbolizes,” Kaufman added.

Rove’s speech will take place at 8 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom The doors will open at 7:30 in order to properly enforce security to the event.

Patrick Hoff contributed to this report.

Nikki Grossfeld can be reached at [email protected].