Kristi Stefanoni will not return as head coach of UMass softball program next season

After 15 years with the program and eight years as head coach, Stefanoni is stepping away from UMass softball
Kago+Motsoma+%2F+Daily+Collegian+
Kago Motsoma / Daily Collegian

After 15 years on the Massachusetts softball staff and eight years as head coach, Kristi Stefanoni will not return to the program for the 2021-2022 season, UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford announced Thursday.

“I want to thank Kristi for her time as a UMass student-athlete, assistant coach and head coach for the last 19 years combined,” Bamford said. “She cares deeply for UMass softball and worked hard to lead our heralded program after the passing of legendary mentor Elaine Sortino. We wish Kristi well in her future endeavors.”

Stefanoni graduated from UMass in 2006 and began working for the program in 2007. She was named Atlantic-10 Coach of the Year in 2018, after coaching the Minutewomen to their 24th regular season title in program history. Following that season, Stefanoni’s contract was extended through May, 31, 2021. She finishes her career as head coach at UMass with an overall record of 167-158-1 and 90-49-1 in the A-10.

The search for a new head coach is already underway.

Lulu Kesin can be reached at [email protected] . Follow her on Twitter @Lulukesin.