Bathrooms on campus in trouble again

In an apparent repeat of the campus crisis that occurred Sept.13, the restrooms in some buildings on campus were closed off from use at 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

Ed Del Biaggio, vice president of administration, addressed the issue at the Faculty Senate meeting at 3:15 p.m.

“We first noticed the problem at 11:30 a.m.,” he said.”The city then turned off its pumps.”

Del Biaggio also updated the status of Brighton Hall.

“Brighton Hall is open, but the restrooms are closed,” he said.

Ann Reed, assistant vice president for public affairs, said Brighton Hall was closed but could not confirm that classes there were actually cancelled. “It seems to be affecting the south end of campus heavily,” Reed said.

The Library, University Union, and Brighton Hall reported problems. At the University Union, Facilities Management workers were called out to deal with a sewer overflow adjacent to The Store at about 2:15 p.m.

According to Reed, no reports have been made from Tahoe and Amador Halls, which are also located at the south-end of campus.

Karina Hernandez, a receptionist of the Children’s Center, confirmed that parents were being called to pick up their children because of the situation.

“We have a sewage problem, Hernandez said. “We are not using the water.”

Television station KCRA told the State Hornet that a resident of the Sacramento State Residence Halls emailed the station about the sewage problem and said that the residents were only allowed to use the restrooms on the first floor. They were not allowed to flush, or use the sinks or the laundry rooms.

“This was only a precaution,” said Nancy Limon, a receptionist for the residence halls.

At 2:30 p.m. Reed told the Hornet that “every building is fine, except for Brighton Hall and that should be reopened in a few hours.” The library is not affected, she said.

By 3:30 p.m. bathrooms in the University Union were re-opened, however, Facilities Management crews remained on scene outside The Store.

Reed said the Facilties Management workers – dressed in coveralls, rubber boots and wearing gloves – would remain to ensure the site was properly sanitized, if any sewage actually spilled.

Del Biaggio and the administration hope to fix the problem and avoid any future incidents. “We will be meeting with the city to discuss this to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” he said.

Ryan Endean and Brendan Wonnacott contributed to this report.