Multi-Cultural Center rededicates the tree of peace

As a symbolic gesture to the year of unity, the Multicultural Center will rededicate the tree of peace, located between Shasta Hall and the River Front Center, to the campus at 8 a.m. Monday, Sept. 18.

The ceremony will welcome in the new school year and kick off a full year of multi-cultural events.

“We will begin the year by giving thanks to our creator and all the people who support the programs we are involved with, ” said Leonard Valdez, Multicultural Center director. “We will be breaking bread as an aspect of that.”

Chocolates and sweet bread will be served for the occasion.

“There is nothing better in keeping with the spirit of the community than sharing a meal,” Valdez said.

The event not only helps create a sense of community for the people on this campus, but it will also help call attention to the fact that the tree exists.

The tree was originally planted in 1986 when the United Nations called for people everywhere to plant “trees of peace.” The idea for the program was shared by people for both environmental and humanitarian reasons.

Trees of peace have been dated back as far as 1,000 years when warriors would bury their weapons under a tree as a symbol of disarmament. This is where the classic saying, “bury the hatchet” came from.

Chief Jake Swamp of the Wolf Clan of the Mohawk Nation has been invited to the campus to perform the dedication ceremony. Swamp is the founder of the Tree of Peace Society and has devoted his life to promoting world peace and raising environmental consciousness.

After the ceremony a reception will be held at 9 a.m. in the Multicultural Center located in the Library room 1010.

The center hosts and sponsors many programs that tell the histories of different cultures and promote understanding and acceptance. Programs include cultural exhibits, celebrations and lectures.