Ski team looks for lift

Entering an unprecedented fortieth season with the Massachusetts ski program, coach Bill MacConnell has seen it all. The trophies and plaques that fill his office walls are a testament to his success both as a leader and as an instructor. Yet, with more than half of the regular season elapsed, all eyes will be watching to see whether MacConnel can push his squad past fourth and fifth place results.

So far, the highest team ranking has been provided by the women. They finished third in the slalom at the UMass Winter Carnival held on Jan. 20 in Charlemont. Erica Olson helped the Minutewomen with her 9th overall performance in the slalom and was supported by a 14th place finish by Molly Lyon. Unfortunately, this would be Lyon’s last race for the season. She has since been absent from the lineup due to an injury sustained in winter training camp.

For every hardship, however, there is usually a surprise that follows. Rebecca Chan, a newcomer to the university and to the sport of team ski racing, has managed to secure a regular position in the women’s lineup. She is currently racing in the eight position and has scored points for the team in three races. Paving the way for Chan’s improvement have been veterans such as co-captain Lauren Brodey, Tina King and Carolyn Lewenberg.

Whether the men are chasing the women or vice-versa is yet to be determined. Fourth and fifth place seems to be a comfortable position for both teams. The beginning of the ski season brought somber news to the men as they learned that they would be without two of their best racers.

Peter Sanford, an Austrian native, informed coach MacConnell over the summer that he would be unable to return due to financial concerns. Ben Gibson also decided to take a year off so that he will be able to preserve his fourth and last year of skiing eligibility while completing the fifth year of his major.

Such concerns appear to have been quickly forgotten. Several seniors have taken advantage of this opportunity and continue to prove themselves with impressive results. Christian Guertin, Mike Hadden and co-captain Ken Thoman refuse to let the team slip past a fourth place standing in all of the races to date.

Boston College, Colby/Sawyer, and Plymouth State remain a formidable men’s league trio holding up the first three places in every event.

The remainder of the season, which includes the Boston College Carnival this weekend and the Smith College Carnival on Feb. 16, should provide the UMass skiers with a special opportunity.

While several racers will inevitably race in the post-season events, many more will hang up their hopes and concentrate on next season. With the immense potential of newcomers and veterans alike, combined with the success of this season, there is no reason to doubt that a surprise might be in the near future for our skiers.