Minutewomen kick off spring

Even though the 2000 fall season ended a little over four months ago, the bitter ending to that campaign still seems to be fresh in the mind of the Massachusetts women’s soccer team.

Now, as the Minutewomen work diligently in the midst of their spring season, all signs are indicating a quest for excellence. Of course, UMass took a positive step last weekend when it won its own UMass/All Sport Arena Invitational in Northampton.

However, what made the win even more gratifying was that it came on the heels of a tough-luck inaugural indoor outing. The Minutewomen dominated their opponents at the Soccer City Women’s Premier Invitational on Feb. 17, yet only mustered a 1-3-2 record and lost in the final to the Springfield Sirens.

“Three or four weeks ago, when we played at Soccer City, we felt that we played well there,” UMass women’s soccer coach Jim Rudy said. “We felt that we dominated six games in a row, but we couldn’t finish. We couldn’t get it into the goal.

“For all of combination play and possession that we had, we were saved on time and time again. We scored four goals in six games, and that’s not going to do it. But we faced some brilliant goalkeepers and some lucky ones too.”

Fortunately for the Minutewomen, a handful of tactical changes ensured that they would not have another repeat performance on the offensive end this time around.

I think that a key part in that was getting Martha Conover into a deeper role so that no one could get in front of her,” Rudy said. “Keeping her deeper – one, kept us organized, and two, gave us a little more time to play defense. We attacked later and finished much better against some pretty good goaltending.”

UMass won four out of five games in the All Sport event, closing out the day with a 4-1 win over Stony Brook in the final. Brooke Bartlett had three goals in the game, while Kathleen Machamer added the game-winner. The victory also avenged a loss to the Sea Wolves earlier in round robin play.

“I knew that in that last group game against Stony Brook, mentally the kids weren’t as pumped as in the others,” Rudy said. “We had parents, boyfriends and groupies there, and we weren’t as focused in our last warm-up. Although we outplayed them, we ran into a hot goalkeeper and they played us well. They got three quality cracks at goal and put two in. It was a very simple matter of focus – or a lack of it.”

“Even though we fell behind 1-0 in the first minute of the championship game, we just hammered them. Brooke changed her game a bit for us in terms of her method of play. We were able to get the ball to her three times in good position, and she netted three goals.”

Rudy noted a total team effort as the primary reason why his team was able to earn the championship. He also feels that the strength and conditioning of the team has improved immensely in the off-season.

The contribution to the total team effort helped immensely because they formed the glue that held the team together,” he said. “Kat Machamer, Katelyn Jones and Michelle Luttati had the type of performance that helps teams win. Your goal scorers are going to score goals, but you need people who are going to get the ball to them and shut down the other team’s attack.

“I want to thank Anthony Catterton and Bob Otrando for helping the team out. I can see obvious, obvious signs of progress with this team. I felt that we were fitter, faster and stronger, and we’re not the biggest team in the world.”

Individually, Sarah Cook, Kelly Nigh and Erin Lilly were honored as All-Tournament team selections.

“It was a coming out party for Erin Lilly,” Rudy said. “She played very well. Her and Sarah Cook made the All-Tournament team along with Kelly Nigh. She let up one goal the whole tournament, and that was quite good.”

The Minutewomen will now begin preparation for the outdoor portion of their spring season. As of now, UMass has two games lined up for the remainder of the campaign. They are scheduled to play at Syracuse on Friday, April 13 at 7 p.m. The Minutewomen will then take on Rutgers in New Jersey on Saturday, April 21 at 6 p.m.