Animation Domination returns to Fox

This Sunday night, Sept. 28 from 8 to 10 p.m., Fox’s Animation Domination is back. The four shows include “The Simpson’s,” “King of the Hill,” “Family Guy” and “American Dad.”

The night kicks off with “The Simpsons'” premiere of the 20th season. “The Simpsons,” which has been on since late 1989, has become one of America’s favorite animated families.

Its 20 seasons and 420 episodes are a true testament to the show’s success. In the season premiere, Homer finds himself in jail after a St. Patty’s Day fight. As he tries to get his bail bond, he meets Wolf the Bounty Hunter and decides that he wants to take up the profession.

The premiere, “Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes,” is a worthwhile viewing for both big fans and occasional watchers and proves that even after 20 seasons the show still can dish up some fresh laughs.

Next up is the 13th season premiere of “King of the Hill” at 8:30. Unlike “The Simpsons,” “King of the Hill” has not received the same amount of critical acclaim, but is entering its 13th season, a testament that the program has maintained a dedicated following.

The debut of the upcoming season, “Dia-BILL-ic Shock,” isn’t the strongest of efforts but does offer a few legitimate laughs. Bill, close friend of Hank Hill, finds out that he has diabetes and refuses to stop eating junk food. His doctor tells him he may lose his legs if he doesn’t control his diet. Bill is prescribed a wheelchair and then the story ensues. While by no means a highlight, “King of the Hill’s” premiere serves as a strong enough transition between the Fox’s two heavyweight animated franchises

The most anticipated premiere, of course, is “Family Guy’s” sixth season which airs at 9. The first episode, coined “Love Blactually,” lives up to “Family Guy” standards. Brian falls for a cute atheist girl named Carolyn who he meets in a bookstore. They start seeing each other, but Brian wants to take things slow, as perscribed by Stewie, in order to maintain a long-term relationship.

When Brian finds her with another man, he becomes determined to win her back. Family Guy has tailed off during its last few seasons, failing to live up to the standards set by the show’s original season; but, it is certainly back to its true form in this episode and is full of non-stop laughs. If you are planning to watch only one of these shows Sunday night, make sure it’s “Family Guy.”

“American Dad” ends the night with its fourth season premiere at 9:30, but when greeted by its opening theme the smartest maneuver would be to change the channel. American Dad has long been muddled in mediocrity, and by the looks of the premiere, the fourth season is no different.

It’s hard to postulate how Seth MacFarlane is responsible for both “American Dad” and “Family Guy.” Regardless, the episode is about Roger’s 1600th birthday and Steve’s first pubic hair. For a night full of quality humor, “American Dad” proves to be a bitterly disappointing conclusion.

Justin Gagnon can be reached at [email protected].