UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Harvard newspaper outrages jewish community

On September 8, the community of Harvard University opened their newspaper with a unanimous sense of horror. Within The Crimson, Harvard’s daily newspaper, was an advertisement for the Committee for the Open Debate on the Holocaust, a group that questions the existence of the Holocaust.

In said advertisement, faculty and students are asked, “can you provide, with proof, the name of one person killed in a gas chamber at Auschwitz?”

After the ad appeared, The Crimson received emails from community members, students and a petition signed by numerous editors of The Crimson. The Harvard Hillel requested that the newspaper print an apology letter. President Jason Child published “A Letter to Crimson Readers”. The letter addresses the sensitivity of this particular issue. Child also said in the letter that the newspaper does not support such views. Despite The Crimson printing this article to apologize, never is an apology directly stated, rather the newspaper blamed the advertisement being printed as a miscommunication amongst the newspaper’s staff members.

The Crimson has stated that this was an accident, a communication error which occurred during a three-week break allowing this advertisement to print. After a discussion among editors, it was decided that the ad would not be published.

Child cites the reason as to why this advertisement was printed as a failure to communicate to the entire staff the decision not to run the ad. Yet with the hours spent on layout, editing and formatting a newspaper it is hard to believe that no one would catch an anti-Semitic advertisement on page 7.

When asked for comment on the apology letter, James E. Young the chair of the Department of Judaic & Near Eastern Studies at University of Massachusetts stated, “The editor should not be apologizing for an “accident” but for his own incompetence as an editor, whose job is to know the difference between informed observation and propaganda.”

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwillia@student.umass.edu.