Amherst residents rally against Dakota pipeline in water ceremony outside TD Bank -

Laura Reed discusses nuclear disarmament under Obama Administration -

SGA President announces opening of vice president position -

Four UMass divers qualify for NCAA Tournament at Bucknell Invitational this weekend -

Top 25 Basketball Notebook: UCLA pulls off major upset over Kentucky -

College football playoff seeds came out Sunday; Alabama gets top seed -

UMass club hockey comes out of travel weekend 1-1-1 -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball guard Luwane Pipkins among nation’s best in steals -

Listen when you argue to truly understand -

Letter to the Editor: local veterans on Hampshire flag burning -

Standing Rock’s message could save America -

What people’s email signoffs say about them -

Union Square Holiday Market adds to festivities in NYC -

Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

UMass, Angela Napoli earn first win over St. Peter’s

After starting the season scoreless in its first five games, the Massachusetts women’s soccer team is suddenly able to find the back of the net.

On Sunday, the Minutewomen scored a season-high two goals to defeat St. Peter’s College, 2-1, at home on Rudd Field. The match represented both the first win of the season, as well as coach Napoli’s first career victory.

“This is a big relief. We’ve been working so hard and it really is a just a nice reward. It’s more for the [players] than for me – they’ve been working their tails off from day one,” Napoli said. “We really were looking for this win and once we got the lead I knew we weren’t going to let it go. We’ve been playing better every game and for us to finally get the win shows that hard work pays off.”

The Minutewomen came out determined in the first period, outshooting the Peahens, 13-2. The first big chance came three minutes into the contest, when Christina Adams’ shot from a cross was turned away by the goalkeeper. Four minutes later, a pressing UMass offense registered its first goal off the foot of redshirt junior Sydney Stoll.

“I checked in and made eye contact with Therese Smith who then found my feet,” Stoll said. “Then I cut inside, the goalie stepped up towards me, and I was able to find the opposite side of the net.”

Stoll wasn’t finished yet; 29 minutes into the match, she forced a turnover which quickly turned into a breakaway opportunity. However, the Peahen goalkeeper aggressively came out and deflected Stoll’s shot away from the net.

The remainder of the period was characterized by clean defense and a goal from Therese Smith, which proved to be the game-winner. The goal was assisted by junior Ashley Hamel, who coach Napoli believed was a decisive player in the match.

“She is usually our left sided midfielder but injuries forced us to move Ashley into the center of the midfield,” Napoli said. “She went in there, figured it out quickly, didn’t complain and just worked hard.”

Eighteen minutes into the second period, it was Therese Smith again who nearly added to UMass’ lead. Smith found herself with some space and ripped a shot on goal, which was stopped by a diving effort from the goalkeeper.

Although the match represented UMass’ first offensive outburst, the defense was also strong. The Peahens were limited to six shots, while the Minutewomen registered 22. Although owning an undesirable record to this point, the Minutewomen have not let up more than two goals in a single match this season.

“Everybody on the field defended hard – from our forwards, mids, to our backs,” Napoli said. “We had a couple of players who came up lame during the game but everyone just kept on fighting so it was a great defensive effort across the board.”

The second period showed an increased effort offensively from St. Peter’s, when it forced its first two corner kicks in the match, the latter resulting in a goal from Alex Keddie. Fortunately for the Minutewomen, no more goals would come against them in the remaining 20-plus minutes, awarding them their first victory of the year and adding to their three-game unbeaten streak.

“It feels really good and it is definitely a step in the right direction,” Stoll said. “We were struggling to score goals and this win is just another step forward towards the [Atlantic 10 schedule].”

After being shut out in their first five matches, Stoll knows how the team can further improve.

“There’s always room for improvement,” she said. “Maybe the next step for us is to record our own shutout, which would be nice,” Stoll said, grinning.

UMass’ offensive opportunities sparkled, while the defense continued to limit offensive chances.

“From here we just have to continue moving forward and working on the things we’ve been working on,” Napoli said.

The Minutewomen will look to continue its three-game unbeaten streak on Friday, when they host St. Joseph’s in the first match of the A-10 schedule.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass, Angela Napoli earn first win over St. Peter’s”
  1. Mary Levine says:

Very good stories!!!