UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

Plan to avert impending UMass budget crisis to be ready by spring

In a meeting with the Massachusetts Daily Collegian, Chancellor Robert Holub outlined steps he plans to take to address future gaps in the budget.

According to the Chancellor’s budget update on June 18, the University of Massachusetts faces a deficit of approximately $30 million dollars in fiscal year 2011, and these difficulties will continue in fiscal year 2012.

If new sources of revenue are not found, this budget deficit will result in layoffs and the elimination of programs. In order to prevent this from happening, the administration has formed a budget task force made up of faculty and specialists, whom are currently developing a plan for the best course of action. The budget task force will have working meetings with vice chancellors in order to get their perspectives. The Chancellor promised more detailed explanations for creating new sources of revenue in mid-to-late spring.

Though there are few concrete plans announced at the moment, the Chancellor and his associates have offered glimpses of what they will do in the near future.

Ed Blaguszewski, executive director of news and media relations, said that UMass will need to offer more graduate programs and increase its out of state presence.

“UMass needs to raise revenue to close the budget gap, two ways we could do this are increasing professional education and raising the amount of out-of-state students,” he said. 

Also, Holub will be seeking to further the admissions presence in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, according to recent press releases. Raising the proportion of out-of-state students would allow the university to collect more revenue from tuition.

The amount of money received in donations has also taken a hit due to the state of the economy, so the Chancellor wants to see a greater focus on fundraising. Other ideas for increasing revenue include a larger focus on summer session, continuing education, enrollment management, and research grants.

As of right now, stimulus money is preventing any layoffs and program cuts. UMass has received $33 million dollars in stimulus money to date.

Most recently UMass was awarded $7 million dollars in federal stimulus money from the National Institute of Health for upgrades at the Lederle Graduate Research Center on campus, according to UMass News Office. The stimulus money will stop coming in fiscal year 2011 and UMass must rely on its own creation of revenue and support from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. 

In order to stem unnecessary spending, UMass has implemented a ‘zero-based’ budget. This means all departments must justify each line item of their expenditures after each semester. The ‘zero-based’ budget was implemented following the economic downturn of a year ago; normally faculty and staff are only required to produce a ‘zero-based’ budget every few years.

Bobby Hitt can be reached at rhitt@student.umass.edu.