UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Trustees sign off on $888 million spending plan

$888 million has been dispensed to the University of Massachusetts by the Board of Trustees for a variety of improvements, including earmarked projects as well as new construction, according to the recently released UMass five-year capital plan.

The plan reaches all five campuses in the UMass system, with a total of $2.6 billion for the next five years. Over the past decade only $1.9 billion was spent on similar improvements.

The capital plan hopes to update the university’s facilities. 68% of UMass Amherst’s facilities were built in the 1960s and 70s while another 25% dates back to before 1950.

University Spokesmen Robert Connolly said that one can see improvements “most vividly in Amherst, where you see the fruits of a lot of renovation projects, and also many new facilities, ISB (the Integrated Sciences Building), the Studio Arts building, the new student recreation center and the new dorms.”

Although the trustees plan to spend $2.63 billion, the “total need identified” in the next five years is over $1 billion more, at $3.7 billion.

UMass was able to get over $1 billion in capital investment from the Higher Education Capital Improvement Act, as well as $250 million from the Life Sciences Industry Investment act.

The capital plan calls for more improvements, using an “unprecedented” amount of borrowed funds to do it. UMass borrowed $1.27 billion from the Health and Educational Facilities Authority (HEFA) and the University of Massachusetts Building Authority (UMBA).
As of June 30, UMass’s debt was $1.38 billion. UMass’s annual debt service, or the amount that UMass is required to pay per year to pay off the debt, will rise from $110 million to $138 million.

A definite need for improvement can be found in deferred maintenance, compliance, repair and replacement of existing infrastructure according to the plan, as well as “new construction for academic and research facilities, student housing, recreation & campus centers, and auxiliary activities such as parking and dining facilities.”

UMass Amherst will complete 97 projects by 2014, costing more than $1.1 billion. Also, the school will attempt to attract new faculty by improving facilities, which will “result in research growth and increased student demand,” according to the report.
Other problems listed in the report pertaining to the Amherst campus included 27% of science or engineering spaces rated “poor,” a shortage of academic space limits, enrollment and the large residential population’s wear on the facilities.
New improvements expected on the UMass campus include: A new science building, an addition to the Totman kinesiology building, enclosures for the tennis courts, new solar panels, a Worcester dining common overhaul, purchasing new property and about 30 other multi-million dollar renovations.

Aside from the proposed buildings, a variety of research or teaching projects are also part of the plan.

Sam Hayes can be reached at sdhayes@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Trustees sign off on $888 million spending plan”
  1. Jerry 09 says:

A Worcester overhaul? Again? What is this a pissing match between Berkshire and Worcester? How about Hampshire or Franklin? Those places are dumps.

2. I’ve got to i would have been a little leary of all the hype going on around solar. After considering a variety of programs and buy options we decide to take the plunge. We finished up getting solar without any money down and then we immediatly started putting money aside the very first month is was installed. I have to admit that this primary advantages of solar appear to be real and I am happy we made a decision to move forward with it.