UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Trustees sign off on $888 million spending plan

$888 million has been dispensed to the University of Massachusetts by the Board of Trustees for a variety of improvements, including earmarked projects as well as new construction, according to the recently released UMass five-year capital plan.

The plan reaches all five campuses in the UMass system, with a total of $2.6 billion for the next five years. Over the past decade only $1.9 billion was spent on similar improvements.

The capital plan hopes to update the university’s facilities. 68% of UMass Amherst’s facilities were built in the 1960s and 70s while another 25% dates back to before 1950.

University Spokesmen Robert Connolly said that one can see improvements “most vividly in Amherst, where you see the fruits of a lot of renovation projects, and also many new facilities, ISB (the Integrated Sciences Building), the Studio Arts building, the new student recreation center and the new dorms.”

Although the trustees plan to spend $2.63 billion, the “total need identified” in the next five years is over $1 billion more, at $3.7 billion.

UMass was able to get over $1 billion in capital investment from the Higher Education Capital Improvement Act, as well as $250 million from the Life Sciences Industry Investment act.

The capital plan calls for more improvements, using an “unprecedented” amount of borrowed funds to do it. UMass borrowed $1.27 billion from the Health and Educational Facilities Authority (HEFA) and the University of Massachusetts Building Authority (UMBA).
As of June 30, UMass’s debt was $1.38 billion. UMass’s annual debt service, or the amount that UMass is required to pay per year to pay off the debt, will rise from $110 million to $138 million.

A definite need for improvement can be found in deferred maintenance, compliance, repair and replacement of existing infrastructure according to the plan, as well as “new construction for academic and research facilities, student housing, recreation & campus centers, and auxiliary activities such as parking and dining facilities.”

UMass Amherst will complete 97 projects by 2014, costing more than $1.1 billion. Also, the school will attempt to attract new faculty by improving facilities, which will “result in research growth and increased student demand,” according to the report.
Other problems listed in the report pertaining to the Amherst campus included 27% of science or engineering spaces rated “poor,” a shortage of academic space limits, enrollment and the large residential population’s wear on the facilities.
New improvements expected on the UMass campus include: A new science building, an addition to the Totman kinesiology building, enclosures for the tennis courts, new solar panels, a Worcester dining common overhaul, purchasing new property and about 30 other multi-million dollar renovations.

Aside from the proposed buildings, a variety of research or teaching projects are also part of the plan.

Sam Hayes can be reached at sdhayes@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Trustees sign off on $888 million spending plan”
  1. Jerry 09 says:

A Worcester overhaul? Again? What is this a pissing match between Berkshire and Worcester? How about Hampshire or Franklin? Those places are dumps.

2. I’ve got to i would have been a little leary of all the hype going on around solar. After considering a variety of programs and buy options we decide to take the plunge. We finished up getting solar without any money down and then we immediatly started putting money aside the very first month is was installed. I have to admit that this primary advantages of solar appear to be real and I am happy we made a decision to move forward with it.