Amherst residents rally against Dakota pipeline in water ceremony outside TD Bank -

Laura Reed discusses nuclear disarmament under Obama Administration -

SGA President announces opening of vice president position -

Four UMass divers qualify for NCAA Tournament at Bucknell Invitational this weekend -

Top 25 Basketball Notebook: UCLA pulls off major upset over Kentucky -

College football playoff seeds came out Sunday; Alabama gets top seed -

UMass club hockey comes out of travel weekend 1-1-1 -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball guard Luwane Pipkins among nation’s best in steals -

Listen when you argue to truly understand -

Letter to the Editor: local veterans on Hampshire flag burning -

Standing Rock’s message could save America -

What people’s email signoffs say about them -

Union Square Holiday Market adds to festivities in NYC -

Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

Amherst Police receive $17,000 grant

Amherst Police Chief Scott P. Livingstone announced on Tuesday, Nov. 24 that the Amherst Police Department has been named the recipient of a $17,000 grant from the federal Executive Office of Public Safety and Security’s Highway Safety Division.

The grant is intended to fund law enforcement agencies in their efforts to provide staff for ongoing motor vehicle programs, including “Click it or Ticket,” and “Over the Limit, Under Arrest.” Amherst Police suggested that the money will be put towards the purchase of safety equipment (including public awareness signs for traffic safety), speed monitoring radar units and modern accident reconstruction equipment.

The funding comes at a time when law enforcement agencies across the country are working to minimize the effect of the global economic downturn on their continuing initiatives, despite massive budget cuts in nearly every community. The grant also likely reflects the large student driver populace of the town, which has unique consequences on the task faced by law enforcement.

“As we struggle with budget challenges and substantial reductions in state and federal grant funding, we are fortunate to be awarded this grant,” said Chief Livingstone in a press release Tuesday. “It is because of our proven record of being committed to traffic safety, by aggressively enforcing the drunk driving and aggressive driving laws, that we have received this much needed funding. We are committed to the safety of this community and will continue to be diligent about educating the public about safe driving, especially seatbelt usage.”

According to the press release, in the fiscal year 2009 the Amherst Police Department issued 144 citations or warnings to persons for not wearing seatbelts, including eight for improperly restrained children.

Amherst Police also criminally charged 124 persons with operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, with 11 of those persons being charged for the second or subsequent time.

For additional information, residents may go to www.amherstpd.org, where they can also utilize the town’s Online Incident Reporting System to request special traffic enforcement in their neighborhood.

Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.