UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

Artifex Pereo’s “Passengers” is an otherworldly, haunting ride -

Bastille perfectly encapsulates the “Wild World” we live in -

Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

Fire strikes at Townehouse Apartments in Amherst late Saturday night

Early Sunday morning, the Amherst Fire Department received a call reporting a fire in the living room of apartment 86 of the Townehouse Apartments on Meadow Street of North Amherst.

• Video: Fire at Amherst Townehouses
  •  

• Slideshow: Amherst Townehouse Fire: The Aftermath 

“We had a report I believe about 12:30 of a fire in apartment number 86 that came from the neighbors, not the occupants,” Amherst Fire Department Fire Chief Lindsay Stromgren said.

The cause of the fire is still unknown, but at the time of the fire, the apartment was unoccupied and had been for over 24 hours, according Stromgren.

“There was nobody home in 86. When our crews got here we did have fire in the living room of number 86. About 20 or 30 minutes we had that fire under control,” Stromgren said. “Fairly heavy damage to number 86, but I don’t believe any fire damage to any other units.”

The residents of the apartment, who were away for the weekend, were contacted by the fire department and notified of the incident. They were said to be returning to Amherst on Sunday.

The fire was noticed by Matt Lee, a senior communications major at the University of Massachusetts, as he walked down the hallway to his Townhouse apartment.

“I walked in and saw some smoke in the hallway and I didn’t really think much of it, I thought someone maybe burned something,” Lee said, as he waited to hear if he would be able to return to his apartment. “I walked out about 10 minutes later and there was smoke everywhere.”

Lee and others in his apartment banged on the door to see if anyone was inside, as UMass junior Galina McDonnell called in the fire.

Standing at the sliding window in the back of the apartment, Lee, McDonnell and friends said they could see the fire, and waited for the police to show up.

“The carpet and the curtain were on fire and from what the police officer said, the couch was on fire,” McDonnell said. “The cop came and told everyone to back up, and then was banging on the glass, and then he broke the glass and then just yelled in ‘Police, is anyone here?’ He stepped in, and then came back out because there was so much smoke.”

Lee and McDonnell, who live a few doors down, were told they would not be able to return to the apartment that night, as well as a number of other Townhouse residents.

“[There are] a total of six apartments that people are not going to be able to stay in [Saturday night],” Stromgren said.

Little is known about the cause of the fire, especially with the apartment being empty for more than a day, and may be discovered anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.

“We have two of our fire investigators here now and they are going to start the investigation and we will also be contacting the state fire Marshall,” Stromgren said.

Lee and McDonnell stated that someone at the scene said an electrical issue may have caused it and also noted that the electric company was at the scene.

“We’ve released most of our people. We have two engines left here right now to do the investigations,” Stromgrem said at 2 a.m. near the scene of the fire. “During the fire we did have to call in a mutual aid engine company from Northampton and Belchertown to cover the town, [but] they didn’t come to the fire. All of our personnel were tied up, so they were covering the station in case other calls came in.”

• Jeffrey R. Larnard can be reached at jlarnard@dailycollegian.com.

Sara Cody can be reached at scody@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “Fire strikes at Townehouse Apartments in Amherst late Saturday night”
    1. Ed says:

I would not be at all surprised for it to be an electrical issue.

The wiring I have seen in Townhouse has not impressed me.
      My personal favorite – and I think it was in this building – were the hall recepticals that weren’t in boxes, but just sorta hanging there held in by the cover plate…