Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

East Pleasant St. crash results in OUI arrest

favaro
The Amherst Police Department announced Wednesday that an early morning crash at the intersection of Grantwood Dr. and East Pleasant St. had resulted in the second OUI arrest for a 26-year-old Holyoke woman, among other charges.

Johanna Favaro, of 84 Brown Ave. in Holyoke, was arrested resulting from the crash. An APD release said was the result of Favaro failing to stop her car at the end of Grantwood Dr., traveling across East Pleasant St. and into the house across the road at 846 East Pleasant St. Favaro was transported to Cooley-Dickinson Hospital in Northampton after sustaining minor injuries. The home her car hit sustained structural damage.

In addition to her second OUI offense, Favaro was charged with failure to stop at a stop sign, a marked lanes violation, wanton destruction of property over $250 for careening into the house and reckless operation of a motor vehicle. She was held overnight at the Hampshire County House of Correction in lieu of $500 cash bail and, according to the release, was set to be arraigned Wednesday at Eastern Hampshire District Court. The case remains under investigation.

One Response to “East Pleasant St. crash results in OUI arrest”
  1. Ed says:

“wanton destruction of property over $250 for careening into the house”

Ummm…. Unless I am missing something here — and if there is something here the Collegian ought to have mentioned it — this charge is unfounded. She lost control of a car because she was drunk which is why it is illegal to drive drunk, an offense with which she is charged. The word “wanton”, while archaic, is relevant here — substitute “intentional” — she *intentionally* destroyed her car so as to damage the house????

Yes she is liable for the damages to the house and yes she is a criminal (after conviction) for what she did, but you kinda got to charge people with what they really did and being too drunk to realize that the road ended and keeping on going right into a house is NOT a malicious act. It is, instead, a STUPID act – the damage resulted from her criminal negligence, not wanton malice (unless there is more to this story…).