UMass men’s soccer look to surprise the Atlantic 10 conference for the second consecutive season -

Third and 20 S2 Episode 8 -

Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

East Pleasant St. crash results in OUI arrest

favaro
The Amherst Police Department announced Wednesday that an early morning crash at the intersection of Grantwood Dr. and East Pleasant St. had resulted in the second OUI arrest for a 26-year-old Holyoke woman, among other charges.

Johanna Favaro, of 84 Brown Ave. in Holyoke, was arrested resulting from the crash. An APD release said was the result of Favaro failing to stop her car at the end of Grantwood Dr., traveling across East Pleasant St. and into the house across the road at 846 East Pleasant St. Favaro was transported to Cooley-Dickinson Hospital in Northampton after sustaining minor injuries. The home her car hit sustained structural damage.

In addition to her second OUI offense, Favaro was charged with failure to stop at a stop sign, a marked lanes violation, wanton destruction of property over $250 for careening into the house and reckless operation of a motor vehicle. She was held overnight at the Hampshire County House of Correction in lieu of $500 cash bail and, according to the release, was set to be arraigned Wednesday at Eastern Hampshire District Court. The case remains under investigation.

One Response to “East Pleasant St. crash results in OUI arrest”
  1. Ed says:

“wanton destruction of property over $250 for careening into the house”

Ummm…. Unless I am missing something here — and if there is something here the Collegian ought to have mentioned it — this charge is unfounded. She lost control of a car because she was drunk which is why it is illegal to drive drunk, an offense with which she is charged. The word “wanton”, while archaic, is relevant here — substitute “intentional” — she *intentionally* destroyed her car so as to damage the house????

Yes she is liable for the damages to the house and yes she is a criminal (after conviction) for what she did, but you kinda got to charge people with what they really did and being too drunk to realize that the road ended and keeping on going right into a house is NOT a malicious act. It is, instead, a STUPID act – the damage resulted from her criminal negligence, not wanton malice (unless there is more to this story…).