Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Track and Field gets set for Reebok Boston Indoor Games

The Massachusetts men’s indoor track and field team visited Rhode Island on Saturday and came away with third place overall in a field of seven teams at the Rhode Island Invitational. 

Leading the way for the Minutemen was junior sprinter Darius Velez, who etched his name into the UMass record books by winning the 55-meter dash in a time of 6.39 seconds. Velez is currently the second fastest sprinter in the 55-meter in school history, with his first place finish qualifying him for both the New England and Eastern College Athletic Conference championships.

“He’s one of our top guys,” UMass coach Ken O’Brien said. “He’s our fastest sprinter and one of our best athletes, and we’re very happy with how he’s been able to help us out in his career so far.”

In the 55-meter hurdles, senior Tyler Cotto took second place with a time of 7.65 seconds. Sophomore Philip Weltman also earned fifth place in the 200-meter dash, recording a time of 23.27 seconds, as O’Brien was pleased with what he saw from his leaders.

“Tyler and Darius have been a great one-two punch for us,” said O’Brien. “They push each other in practice and in meets, and we’re excited to see them continue to impress throughout the season.”

The Minutemen travel to Roxbury, Mass. on Friday to compete in the Reebok Boston Indoor Games.

On the road in New York, the Massachusetts women’s track and field team took fifth place overall in the Great Dane Invitational on Saturday.

After a fast start to the 2010 season, senior Lisa Wilson set her second school record of the year, this time in the weight throw. Her mark of 55.01 seconds was good enough for third place at the meet, helping the Minutewomen finish fifth in a field of 25 teams. Wilson now holds five school records in her career, and has qualified for the New England and Eastern College Athletic Conference championships.

In her second meet as a collegiate athlete, freshman Nicole Pompei placed first in the pole vault competition with a height of 11-11.75 to place as third in school history also qualifying for both the New England and ECAC championships.

Additionally freshman Courtney Baldwin placed second in the 1000-meter run and qualified for the ECAC championship with a time of 2:56.92. She has qualified for the New England Championships in both the mile and the 1000-meter run this season.

The Minutewomen will attend the Boston Indoor Games in Roxbury on Friday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.