UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Track and Field gets set for Reebok Boston Indoor Games

The Massachusetts men’s indoor track and field team visited Rhode Island on Saturday and came away with third place overall in a field of seven teams at the Rhode Island Invitational. 

Leading the way for the Minutemen was junior sprinter Darius Velez, who etched his name into the UMass record books by winning the 55-meter dash in a time of 6.39 seconds. Velez is currently the second fastest sprinter in the 55-meter in school history, with his first place finish qualifying him for both the New England and Eastern College Athletic Conference championships.

“He’s one of our top guys,” UMass coach Ken O’Brien said. “He’s our fastest sprinter and one of our best athletes, and we’re very happy with how he’s been able to help us out in his career so far.”

In the 55-meter hurdles, senior Tyler Cotto took second place with a time of 7.65 seconds. Sophomore Philip Weltman also earned fifth place in the 200-meter dash, recording a time of 23.27 seconds, as O’Brien was pleased with what he saw from his leaders.

“Tyler and Darius have been a great one-two punch for us,” said O’Brien. “They push each other in practice and in meets, and we’re excited to see them continue to impress throughout the season.”

The Minutemen travel to Roxbury, Mass. on Friday to compete in the Reebok Boston Indoor Games.

On the road in New York, the Massachusetts women’s track and field team took fifth place overall in the Great Dane Invitational on Saturday.

After a fast start to the 2010 season, senior Lisa Wilson set her second school record of the year, this time in the weight throw. Her mark of 55.01 seconds was good enough for third place at the meet, helping the Minutewomen finish fifth in a field of 25 teams. Wilson now holds five school records in her career, and has qualified for the New England and Eastern College Athletic Conference championships.

In her second meet as a collegiate athlete, freshman Nicole Pompei placed first in the pole vault competition with a height of 11-11.75 to place as third in school history also qualifying for both the New England and ECAC championships.

Additionally freshman Courtney Baldwin placed second in the 1000-meter run and qualified for the ECAC championship with a time of 2:56.92. She has qualified for the New England Championships in both the mile and the 1000-meter run this season.

The Minutewomen will attend the Boston Indoor Games in Roxbury on Friday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.