Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Black Bears and UNH meet, youth stepping up

This upcoming weekend is sure to spice up the Hockey East standings, as the top four seeds in the conference square off.

Maine hosts top-ranked New Hampshire for a weekend double-header, as the Black Bears currently sit in fourth-place with 20 points, trailing UNH by seven. Both teams are coming off over-time thrillers on Saturday.

UNH squeaked away with a last-second victory over Merrimack, and Maine ended in a 4-4 draw with the Vermont.

The Black Bears will have to fend off a high-powered offense that leads the conference with 68 goals forced, while Maine’s defense is tied for third in goals scored against, allowing 48 in conference play. Scoring will be no easy task for the Black Bears, as they face senior goaltender Brian Foster in net, recently named Pure Hockey Defensive Player of the Week.

In a battle for Hockey East’s number two spot, Massachusetts will host Boston College in the Mullins Center Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Both teams defeated Providence College last weekend, as they sit tied with 22 points apiece. Boston College’s conference-leading defense has surrendered just 45 goals in conference play.

New Hampshire wins overtime thriller

Merrimack came ready to play on Saturday against conference-leading UNH, but could not steal a victory on their opponent’s ice. The Wildcats improved to 12-3-3 in league play with a 4-3 overtime win at the Whittemore Center.

The Warriors snapped the Wildcat’s 11-game conference win streak the previous night in front of their home crowd. The loss was avenged when Paul Thompson of UNH scored off his own rebound with 11.1 seconds remaining in the extra period of play. Merrimack goaltender Andrew Braithwaite had a solid performance, stopping 43 shots, including 10 in overtime, but could not save the one that made the difference.

Merrimack trailed 3-2 entering the third period, but knotted up the score with a Chris Barton power-play goal in the opening minutes, while Barton also had a goal in the second period to cut the Warrior deficit to a single goal. UNH goalie Brian Foster finished with 26 saves, including one in the overtime period. Merrimack capitalized on power-play opportunities, going 2-for-3 on the odd-man advantages. New Hampshire is currently ranked 12th in the country, while Merrimack sits towards the bottom of the Hockey East.

Talented youth stepping up

The high-powered Hockey East has seen a lot of impressive talent this season. However, the top players in the conference comprise of a majority of juniors and underclassmen. The top10 overall point-scorers in the conference contain four juniors, four sophomores and one freshman. Only one senior, Bobby Butler of UNH sits in the top 10. Last season, five seniors and one junior led the conference in points scored, likewise the year before, with five seniors and two juniors holding the top spots in scoring.

Junior forward James Marcou of UMass is atop the leader board with 26 points along with fellow teammate and sophomore Casey Wellman standing fourth in points. As the Hockey East tournament approaches, the young talents are sure to be a factor in their team’s success.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.