UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Dean of Public Health investigates whether arsenic in the womb leads to mental impairment

Marjorie Aelion, dean of the School of Public Health and Health Sciences at the University of Massachusetts, and colleagues at the Medical University of South Carolina recently conducted a study attempting to find possible connections between exposure to heavy arsenic levels in pregnant women and developmental delays in their children.

The study, published in the Jan. 8 edition of International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, suggests there is a significant relationship between soil levels of arsenic and cases of mental retardation and developmental delay.

According to the study, the cause remains unknown for 50 percent of individuals suffering from mental handicaps, and the causes that are known are not well understood. The study hypothesizes that the prevalence of heavy metals such as arsenic in soil may contribute to a greater percentage of cases than previously assumed.

The researchers used an inexpensive statistical approach to gather information. Instead of using blood and urine samples from subjects, the researchers used data from medical records to gather the study’s population, excluding children with identified genetic causes of developmental disorders.

Aelion explained some of the benefits of this type of statistical approach.

“[This type of study] allows us to narrow down the number of metals we measure by indicating which ones are important,” she said. “It allows us to focus geographically and do a follow-up study in geographic areas that had the most interesting results,” she continued.

The study, conducted in South Carolina, focused on the areas where mothers of children with developmental delays resided during pregnancy.

Aelion commented on the dangers of exposure during pregnancy.

“Heavy metals can affect the mind of a developing child because heavy metals can cross the placenta of a pregnant woman and can cross the blood-brain barrier in the fetus,” said Aelion.

According to Aelion, there are multiple sources of arsenic which could contribute to concentrations of the chemical in soil.

“Arsenic can occur naturally and can occur as a byproduct of industrial activities,” she said. “There are very few studies that measure arsenic in residential soils, and we do not know if it could be associated with negative health outcomes in children,” she added, indicating a need for more research in this area.

Although Aelion emphasized that there is much still unknown about the affects of how arsenic and other chemicals can impact the development of children both while in the womb and after birth, there are some steps parents can take to protect their children once they are born to avoid exposure.

“Arsenic can be in groundwater that is consumed by people who rely on private wells for their drinking water,” said Aelion. “Some soils have high arsenic naturally; limiting children’s play in dirt and keeping a clean house if dirt is tracked into the house is helpful,” she went on. “Some children’s playground equipment made of wood was treated with arsenic-containing compounds in the past.”

Despite these cautions, Aelion maintains that low exposures to arsenic after birth are unlikely to cause severe mental impairment or developmental delay.

The article Aelion published was co-authored by Yuan Liu, a biostatistics doctoral student in the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department in the School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina at the time of publication. Dr. Suzanne McDermott, a professor in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine, who is an epidemiologist, and Dr. Andrew Lawson, a professor in the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department at the School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina, also contributed to the research.

Bobby Hitt can be reached at rhitt@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Dean of Public Health investigates whether arsenic in the womb leads to mental impairment”
  1. very good, thank youu