UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Minutemen hope to stop freefall, take on Eagles

It’s hard to ignore the past, when the past you’re facing is a five-game losing streak and a free fall in the conference standings.

But for the Massachusetts hockey team, looking forward is all it is trying to do, as they travel to Boston College Friday night in hopes of staying in the top eight of the Hockey East Standings.

“The mentality is more that we just have to look ahead, we’re trying to forget what has happened,” Marc Concannon said. “We can’t change the past. We’re just trying to stay positive and take care of what we can take care of right now.”

What has happened has been more than just a five-game skid. The Minutemen – who fell out of the national rankings for the first time since the fourth week of the season – have lost seven of their last eight games, with their only win coming at Providence, who sits at the bottom of the Hockey East standings.

During the eight-game stretch, UMass’ (16-15-0, 11-13-0 HEA) has seen one of the best offenses in the conference go to one of the worst, as it averaged 1.38 goals per game during the stretch and was shutout three times. In the Minutemen’s previous 23 games, it had not been shutout and averaged 3.3 goals per game.

“I think we just haven’t been doing the little things – screening, putting the pucks on pads and just working hard,” Concannon said. “A lucky one would definitely help, I think once we start scoring, we’ll start scoring in bunches.”

For the No. 7 Eagles, their offense is a different story, as they have gone 7-2 in their previous nine games, scoring 4.5 goals per game during the stretch and 5.43 goals per game in the seven wins.

“We got James Marcou, Casey Wellman and Will Ortiz, they are a little cold right now, but as soon as they get going, everybody is going to follow them and if we score one, we’ll score five or six,” Concannon said.

One of the seven wins came in Amherst back on Feb. 5, as BC (19-10-2, 14-8-2 HEA) hammered UMass in a 7-1 victory. At that time, the two were both tied for second place in the conference, but now sit far apart. The Eagles still remain in second place, while UMass has dropped to a tie for sixth place with UMass Lowell.

The win was the second for BC this season in Amherst, as it took an earlier meeting, 3-1 on Dec. 4, giving it the season series.

Seeing the Eagles twice so far has familiarized the Minutemen with how they play, as well as showed them what they can do better.

“[The games showed us] that they are a terrific team, and we’ll have to play really well to beat them,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said.

“I’d say we just need to tighten our defense up a little bit. The last game they beat us up pretty good, but it’s a different game, it’s nothing-nothing,” Concannon said. “We just have to start scoring, we haven’t been scoring as of late, so we’re still just trying to find ourselves a little bit and hopefully, it comes together on Friday night.”

Jeffrey R. Larnard can be reached at jlarnard@dailycollegian.com.