UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Four-match winning streak snapped for UMass

The Massachusetts tennis team fell to Boston College 7-0 on Saturday at the Bay Road Tennis Club in Amherst. The loss was the second of the season for UMass, breaking their four-match winning streak and bringing their record to 7-2, while the Eagles raised their record to 4-5.

With the victory, BC  runs its all-time mark against UMass to 14-2. One of the oldest rivalries for the Minutewomen, the series between the two schools dates back to 1975. UMass has not beaten BC since the 2001-02 season.

UMass was battling injuries in this match, as freshman No. 2 singles player Julia Comas was unable to play. Comas had won four straight contests entering the Saturday match, and was replaced by Candynce Boney at No. 2 singles. Boney had the most competitive match of the day, but fell 7-6, 6-7 (10-6) to freshman Olga Khmylev.

Comas’ absence hurt the Minutewomen in more than singles play as well. Junior Kaitlyn Carpenter stepped up to fill Comas’ normal spot in doubles play, teaming up with sophomore Magdalena Ploch. However, the makeshift team was unable to overcome the well-seasoned squad of Katherine Atwell, who earned an eight-match winning streak earlier this season, and senior captain Brittany Delaney, as they lost 8-6.

No. 1 singles competitor Magdalena Ploch fell in straight sets to freshman player Alex Kelleher 6-2, 6-3. The result brings Kelleher’s record to 3-3 at No. 1 singles this season, while Ploch falls to 7-2 in dual match play and 9-3 overall. The loss also snapped Kelleher’s four-match winning streak.

At No. 3 singles, sophomore Katarina Gajic defeated senior Maude Lecluyse 6-4, 6-2. Gajic recorded a 7-5 mark in No. 3 singles action last year, and has been successful this season. The match was Lecluyse’s first at No. 3 singles this season, as she has earned a 4-4 record at No. 4 singles before this match.

BC earned the doubles point by sweeping the doubles matches.

The No. 1 doubles team of Lecluyse and Boney, who had a 10-2 mark going into the match, were unable to overcome the skill level of Kelleher and Khmylev, as they fell 8-4. 

In No. 3 doubles, Gajic and junior Jacqueline Mabatah teamed together to beat junior Tanisha Hodgson and freshman Jocelyn Providence. Hodgson and Providence records together fell to 8-3 with the loss. 

In other singles action, Atwell defeated Carpenter at No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-1, freshman Ina Kauppila beat Hodgson 6-3, 6-0, and senior captain Brittany Delany defeated Providence 6-4, 6-2.

The Eagles begin their annual southern spring break road trip after the match. They’ll also compete against Florida International before beginning Atlantic Coast Conference conference play. 

The Minutewomen travel to Dartmouth to face the Big Green at 5 p.m. tomorrow.  Dartmouth is 9-1 on the season and is coming off an 8-0 victory over Quinnipiac University on Sunday.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.