Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Pigskin Pick’Em Week nine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Four-match winning streak snapped for UMass

The Massachusetts tennis team fell to Boston College 7-0 on Saturday at the Bay Road Tennis Club in Amherst. The loss was the second of the season for UMass, breaking their four-match winning streak and bringing their record to 7-2, while the Eagles raised their record to 4-5.

With the victory, BC  runs its all-time mark against UMass to 14-2. One of the oldest rivalries for the Minutewomen, the series between the two schools dates back to 1975. UMass has not beaten BC since the 2001-02 season.

UMass was battling injuries in this match, as freshman No. 2 singles player Julia Comas was unable to play. Comas had won four straight contests entering the Saturday match, and was replaced by Candynce Boney at No. 2 singles. Boney had the most competitive match of the day, but fell 7-6, 6-7 (10-6) to freshman Olga Khmylev.

Comas’ absence hurt the Minutewomen in more than singles play as well. Junior Kaitlyn Carpenter stepped up to fill Comas’ normal spot in doubles play, teaming up with sophomore Magdalena Ploch. However, the makeshift team was unable to overcome the well-seasoned squad of Katherine Atwell, who earned an eight-match winning streak earlier this season, and senior captain Brittany Delaney, as they lost 8-6.

No. 1 singles competitor Magdalena Ploch fell in straight sets to freshman player Alex Kelleher 6-2, 6-3. The result brings Kelleher’s record to 3-3 at No. 1 singles this season, while Ploch falls to 7-2 in dual match play and 9-3 overall. The loss also snapped Kelleher’s four-match winning streak.

At No. 3 singles, sophomore Katarina Gajic defeated senior Maude Lecluyse 6-4, 6-2. Gajic recorded a 7-5 mark in No. 3 singles action last year, and has been successful this season. The match was Lecluyse’s first at No. 3 singles this season, as she has earned a 4-4 record at No. 4 singles before this match.

BC earned the doubles point by sweeping the doubles matches.

The No. 1 doubles team of Lecluyse and Boney, who had a 10-2 mark going into the match, were unable to overcome the skill level of Kelleher and Khmylev, as they fell 8-4. 

In No. 3 doubles, Gajic and junior Jacqueline Mabatah teamed together to beat junior Tanisha Hodgson and freshman Jocelyn Providence. Hodgson and Providence records together fell to 8-3 with the loss. 

In other singles action, Atwell defeated Carpenter at No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-1, freshman Ina Kauppila beat Hodgson 6-3, 6-0, and senior captain Brittany Delany defeated Providence 6-4, 6-2.

The Eagles begin their annual southern spring break road trip after the match. They’ll also compete against Florida International before beginning Atlantic Coast Conference conference play. 

The Minutewomen travel to Dartmouth to face the Big Green at 5 p.m. tomorrow.  Dartmouth is 9-1 on the season and is coming off an 8-0 victory over Quinnipiac University on Sunday.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.