Arrest made after lewd acts on campus -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Four-match winning streak snapped for UMass

The Massachusetts tennis team fell to Boston College 7-0 on Saturday at the Bay Road Tennis Club in Amherst. The loss was the second of the season for UMass, breaking their four-match winning streak and bringing their record to 7-2, while the Eagles raised their record to 4-5.

With the victory, BC  runs its all-time mark against UMass to 14-2. One of the oldest rivalries for the Minutewomen, the series between the two schools dates back to 1975. UMass has not beaten BC since the 2001-02 season.

UMass was battling injuries in this match, as freshman No. 2 singles player Julia Comas was unable to play. Comas had won four straight contests entering the Saturday match, and was replaced by Candynce Boney at No. 2 singles. Boney had the most competitive match of the day, but fell 7-6, 6-7 (10-6) to freshman Olga Khmylev.

Comas’ absence hurt the Minutewomen in more than singles play as well. Junior Kaitlyn Carpenter stepped up to fill Comas’ normal spot in doubles play, teaming up with sophomore Magdalena Ploch. However, the makeshift team was unable to overcome the well-seasoned squad of Katherine Atwell, who earned an eight-match winning streak earlier this season, and senior captain Brittany Delaney, as they lost 8-6.

No. 1 singles competitor Magdalena Ploch fell in straight sets to freshman player Alex Kelleher 6-2, 6-3. The result brings Kelleher’s record to 3-3 at No. 1 singles this season, while Ploch falls to 7-2 in dual match play and 9-3 overall. The loss also snapped Kelleher’s four-match winning streak.

At No. 3 singles, sophomore Katarina Gajic defeated senior Maude Lecluyse 6-4, 6-2. Gajic recorded a 7-5 mark in No. 3 singles action last year, and has been successful this season. The match was Lecluyse’s first at No. 3 singles this season, as she has earned a 4-4 record at No. 4 singles before this match.

BC earned the doubles point by sweeping the doubles matches.

The No. 1 doubles team of Lecluyse and Boney, who had a 10-2 mark going into the match, were unable to overcome the skill level of Kelleher and Khmylev, as they fell 8-4. 

In No. 3 doubles, Gajic and junior Jacqueline Mabatah teamed together to beat junior Tanisha Hodgson and freshman Jocelyn Providence. Hodgson and Providence records together fell to 8-3 with the loss. 

In other singles action, Atwell defeated Carpenter at No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-1, freshman Ina Kauppila beat Hodgson 6-3, 6-0, and senior captain Brittany Delany defeated Providence 6-4, 6-2.

The Eagles begin their annual southern spring break road trip after the match. They’ll also compete against Florida International before beginning Atlantic Coast Conference conference play. 

The Minutewomen travel to Dartmouth to face the Big Green at 5 p.m. tomorrow.  Dartmouth is 9-1 on the season and is coming off an 8-0 victory over Quinnipiac University on Sunday.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.