Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Amherst police arrest two brothers in connection to stolen veterans’ plaques

FEATURE1

(Courtesy Amherst Police Department)

On the night of Feb. 8, 2010, the caretakers of North Amherst Cemetery on East Pleasant St. found dozens of brass veterans’ plaques stolen from burial sites at the cemetery site, which lies less than a mile from the University of Massachusetts campus.

Investigators from the Amherst Police Department soon determined that a number of area community police departments had received similar reports from veterans’ affairs officers, according to a press release from the Amherst Police Tuesday.

Amherst Police investigators determined that two suspects were involved, and arrested brothers Mark E. Kuklewicz of Lake Pleasant, Mass. and Stanley P. Kuklewicz of Millers Falls, Mass. Both brothers were charged with two counts, Larceny from a Grave and Larceny over $250.

The Kuklewicz brothers were arrested on the morning of March 2 in the town of Montague, Mass., with the help of the Massachusetts State Police, Greenfield Police and the Montague Police. Both men were arraigned in Eastern Hampshire District Court on Tuesday afternoon.

During the investigation, police recovered 74 of the veterans’ plaques. According to the Amherst Police Department, the investigation continues, with the APD coordinating with various surrounding law enforcement agencies in an effort to locate additional veterans’ plaques, and identify the rightful place for the recovered stolen property.

Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.

6 Responses to “Amherst police arrest two brothers in connection to stolen veterans’ plaques”
  1. Ryan says:

what scumbags….

2. tmacruiser says:

These two low life thieves should be given a sentence of paying back the monetary figures of what they srtole and also work cleaning up cemetaries in MA for 10 years.
    Will it happen? He_l no, our liberal yuppy government won’t let it so slap them on the hand and don’t bother me with this BS again. No wonder why our country is going down the toilet. Thank a do good yuppy who never was in the military and can’t go no where without a cell phone, internet, or pampers.

3. Er… yuppies were generally Reaganites and thus conservative.

4. jr boucher says:

How about if we turn them over to the troopers of the 1st Cavalry Division for some counseling on the proper respect to be paid to veterans of this nation.

I am confident it will have more impact than community service and will be assistive in promoting an appropriate level of remorse.

As a veteran of the war in Vietnam I am not surprised by this kind of behavior and hatred from the students of UMass and people of Amherst and surrounding communities.

5. Sr Boucher says:

The article never states these were Umass students, but I agree, they should be given counsel by drill sergeants at Parris Island.

6. Kyle M says:

I think that the thieves should be thrown in prison and even possibly put out in a steel box in the middle of a firefight in Afghanistan. That should scare the he_l out of them. If it doesn’t, then we can just show them how our Veterans had earned their plaques. send them overseas and arm them with only a 9mm.And ur right. our once great nation is going down the john because of people like these two.