UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

Artifex Pereo’s “Passengers” is an otherworldly, haunting ride -

Bastille perfectly encapsulates the “Wild World” we live in -

Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board imposes fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

Amherst police arrest two brothers in connection to stolen veterans’ plaques

FEATURE1

(Courtesy Amherst Police Department)

On the night of Feb. 8, 2010, the caretakers of North Amherst Cemetery on East Pleasant St. found dozens of brass veterans’ plaques stolen from burial sites at the cemetery site, which lies less than a mile from the University of Massachusetts campus.

Investigators from the Amherst Police Department soon determined that a number of area community police departments had received similar reports from veterans’ affairs officers, according to a press release from the Amherst Police Tuesday.

Amherst Police investigators determined that two suspects were involved, and arrested brothers Mark E. Kuklewicz of Lake Pleasant, Mass. and Stanley P. Kuklewicz of Millers Falls, Mass. Both brothers were charged with two counts, Larceny from a Grave and Larceny over $250.

The Kuklewicz brothers were arrested on the morning of March 2 in the town of Montague, Mass., with the help of the Massachusetts State Police, Greenfield Police and the Montague Police. Both men were arraigned in Eastern Hampshire District Court on Tuesday afternoon.

During the investigation, police recovered 74 of the veterans’ plaques. According to the Amherst Police Department, the investigation continues, with the APD coordinating with various surrounding law enforcement agencies in an effort to locate additional veterans’ plaques, and identify the rightful place for the recovered stolen property.

Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.

6 Responses to “Amherst police arrest two brothers in connection to stolen veterans’ plaques”
  1. Ryan says:

what scumbags….

2. tmacruiser says:

These two low life thieves should be given a sentence of paying back the monetary figures of what they srtole and also work cleaning up cemetaries in MA for 10 years.
    Will it happen? He_l no, our liberal yuppy government won’t let it so slap them on the hand and don’t bother me with this BS again. No wonder why our country is going down the toilet. Thank a do good yuppy who never was in the military and can’t go no where without a cell phone, internet, or pampers.

3. Er… yuppies were generally Reaganites and thus conservative.

4. jr boucher says:

How about if we turn them over to the troopers of the 1st Cavalry Division for some counseling on the proper respect to be paid to veterans of this nation.

I am confident it will have more impact than community service and will be assistive in promoting an appropriate level of remorse.

As a veteran of the war in Vietnam I am not surprised by this kind of behavior and hatred from the students of UMass and people of Amherst and surrounding communities.

5. Sr Boucher says:

The article never states these were Umass students, but I agree, they should be given counsel by drill sergeants at Parris Island.

6. Kyle M says:

I think that the thieves should be thrown in prison and even possibly put out in a steel box in the middle of a firefight in Afghanistan. That should scare the he_l out of them. If it doesn’t, then we can just show them how our Veterans had earned their plaques. send them overseas and arm them with only a 9mm.And ur right. our once great nation is going down the john because of people like these two.