Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Ohio State Edges Nittany Lions, Pride edge Bears

Logan Schuss assumed the role of hero in the Ohio State Buckeyes’ overtime win against Penn State’s Nittany Lions Saturday afternoon, scoring the game-winning goal against PSU to give the Buckeyes an 11-10 in overtime.

The Buckeyes (3-1) were led on the offensive effort by Mario Ventiquattro with four goals, respectively, throughout the course of the game, including a man-up goal in the beginning of the fourth quarter. Jeff Tundo and James Green also added to the Buckeyes’ goal total, with two goals each, respectively. Ohio State was perfect on the extra-man opportunity, going 2-for-2 on the day.

The Nittany Lions (0-4) had 55 shots on goal, with 22 of them on net.  Matthew Mackrides led the Lion offense with five goals, and had his second five-goal game of the season. Billy Gribbin and Nick Dolik each contributed with two goals.

Mackrides had scored with just 1:49 left in the fourth quarter to tie the game, sending PSU to overtime. Though the Lions were able to win the ensuing faceoff, Buckeye Joe Bonanni forced a turnover, leading to Schuss’ game-winning goal with 2:50 left in overtime. 

OSU fell to Robert Morris 12-7 on Tuesday, while PSU is still winless after falling to to Villanova, 11-7.

Hofstra Beats Bears by Three

No. 11 Hofstra held off the No. 19 Brown Bears in a strong 15-12 performance on Saturday afternoon.

The Pride (1-1) brought a dynamic offensive performance that saw contributions from several players.  Hofstra’s 39-shot effort against the Bears was capitalized by Stephen Bentz, who scored three goals. Brad Loizeaux, Mike DeNapoli, Adrian Sorichetti, and Steve DeNapoli all contributed with two goals each.

The Bears (0-1) had 30 shots resulting in 12 goals, and were led by Thomas Muldoon.  Muldoon notched four goals for Brown, with Reade Seligmann and David Hawley each netting three.

Though Brown came out with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first quarter, they were unable to maintain it with a six-goal second period that came hot off the heels of the Pride offense.

The Pride will return to the field on Saturday, March 13, when they will play against No.5 John’s Hopkins.

Tigers Fall Short Against Stony Brook

Towson was unable to stage a comeback against No. 17 Stony Brook on Saturday, falling 14-11.

The Seawolves (2-1) jumped out to a 9-4 lead at the beginning of the second half and never looked back. Jordan McBride scored six goals to help lead the Seawolves to a solid win on their home turf.  Kevin Crowley also contributed to the scoring frenzy with three goals.

The Tigers (0-2) did their best offensively, but were unable to resist the Seawolves’ scoring output. Will Harrington scored  five goals for the Tigers, while Stephen Norris also scored three goals. 

The Seawolves had a 17-11 faceoff win advantage and a 43-31 shot advantage, though the Tigers did pull off a 10-8 save advantage to go along with a strong extra-man unit that went 5-of-7 for the day 

David Martin can be reached dmmartin@student.umass.edu.