Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Pigskin Pick’Em Week nine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Riding win streak, UMass hosts Tigers on Senior Day Saturday

It took 47 years, but the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team hosts Towson for the first time on Saturday afternoon in only the second meeting between the two teams.

The No.7 Minutemen (7-2, 2-0 Colonial Athletic Association) are 1-0 against the Tigers (2-5, 1-0 CAA), and bring a four-game winning streak into Saturday’s Senior Day matchup, slated for 1 p.m.

UMass is 4-1 hosting teams at Garber Field, while Towson is winless in three road contests this season.

UMass coach Greg Cannella feels the Tigers are victims of a tough stretch of games against some of the top teams in the country.

“They’re a really well-skilled team that has very slick sticks,” Cannella said. “They’ve got great defense on a really good quick-strike team. They play the second-toughest schedule in the country.”

The focal points for opponents playing the Minutemen often center on stopping the high-powered UMass offense, led by sophomore Art Kell (21 goals, 12 assists). But, Kell missed the Minutemen’s last game, a 10-8 conference win over Penn State (1-8, 0-1 CAA).

However Kell’s injury didn’t seem to affect UMass, which gained a 6-4 lead by halftime, thanks in part to attackmen Will Manny and midfielder Bobby Hayes, who combined for five goals and two assists on the day.

As a freshman, Manny logs significant time for Cannella, in part because of his impressive scoring and good vision on the field. Along with Kell, Manny leads the team in assists this season.

An under-sized player (5-foot-7) compared to the rest of his fellow attackmen, Manny’s speed is also an asset to a UMass team which averages nearly four more assists per-game than the Tigers.

As offensively-stagnant a team as Towson is this season – their nine goals per-game average is a CAA-worst – Cannella doesn’t want the Minutemen to underestimate the Tigers as a legitimate threat.

“We need to continue to play hard and play together with intensity,” Cannella said. “You have to put in a 60-minute effort. You can’t let up at all, and we’ve had a tendency to do that this year at times.”

UMass has a conference-worst .405 penalty-kill percentage, allowing 22 man-down goals, but the Minutemen balance that with a CAA-best .469 man-up scoring percentage. UMass has 15 goals in extra-man opportunities this season.

The goalkeeping in the contest should be strong, too.  Both redshirt sophomore Tim McCormack and Towson’s Travis Love average around nine goals-against per-game, and McCormack comes off a 12-save win against the Nittany Lions.

The win against Penn State marked another solid game for a UMass defense which had four caused-turnovers from All-American defenseman Diogo Godoi.

Between Godoi’s 16 caused turnovers this season and sophomore Tom Celentani’s team-high 21 caused turnovers this season, the Minutemen should trouble the Tiger offense, as long as their play in the faceoff circle holds up.

Sophomore Greg Rushing had a season-low 6-for-12 performance against Penn State, but still has a solid .584 faceoff percentage as the primary faceoff midfielder for Cannella.

Opposite Rushing will likely be Matt Thomas, who has a .483 faceoff percentage.

Christian Pastirik (15 goals, nine assists) and Will Harrington (14 goals, two assists) lead the Tiger offense, while Peter Mezzanotte has 13 caused-turnovers on the season for the Tigers.

Mike Gillmeister can be reached at mgillmei@student.umass.edu.