Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Minutewomen host Albany

The Massachusetts tennis team is coming off a string of solid victories as it takes on Albany at 2 p.m. this afternoon.

These two squads are on complete opposite sides of spectrum when it comes to recent success. The Minutewomen are on a four-match winning streak with their most recent victory on the road against Sacred Heart last Thursday while the Great Danes are entering today’s match with hopes of snapping a four-match losing streak after previously falling to UMBC, Jacksonville, UMKC and Florida Atlantic.

Albany not only can’t seem to bring home a win lately, it is also coming off devastating blows, including three 0-7 defeats, while UMass’ most recent matches have resulted in dominant 7-0 victories.

In the match against the Owls, the Great Danes’ only win of the day came at first doubles, with Laine Mackey and Livia Gherman earning a 6-3 default win over Erika Mrazkova and Dominique Wimmer. FAU came out strong and set the tone by winning the first two doubles matches.

Albany struggled to find some momentum of its own, but couldn’t seem to come up with any. The Owls continued to dominate, earning themselves the sweeping 7-0 victory.

UMass freshman Chantal Swiszcz from Rota, Spain, and her teammates feel confident going into today’s match-up.

“The team feels strong going into the match against Albany,” Swiszcz said. “We feel that we have depth in every position and that we will do really well. We look forward to finishing up the season strong in our next three games at home, especially since we have a great crowd.”

After recently losing its No. 1 player Magdalena Ploch, it was unclear whether or not the team would fill the void. Freshman Julia Comas filled the role as the No. 1 singles spot.

“We are over not having Ploch on the team anymore, we are all ready to move on,” said UMass coach Judy Dixon. “The match is going to be very close but I suspect we have a bit of an edge. We need to come out with passion, work hard, and play from the bottom-up.”

Comas continues to make a name for herself with a solid five-match winning streak. Her most recent victory at the No. 1 singles spot came in the match against the Pioneers, where she defeated Kate Donnelly in straight-sets, 6-1, 6-1.

Comas and Tanisha Hodgson were also successful against Elizabeth Harrington and Kristina Chao, winning their third straight doubles match, 8-1. Comas earned the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week award for last week’s play and continues to have impressive outings. 

“I was so happy because it was my first award here at UMass,” Comas said. “The first few games I was nervous because I had more pressure on me, but now I’m a lot less nervous.” 

Swiszcz noted Comas’s improvements since taking the top singles spot.

“Julia has stepped up into the No. 1 position and has been doing a great job,” said Swiszcz, who is currently on the sidelines due to a season-ending hip fracture that occurred in UMass’ tournament at Dartmouth in the fall.

The Minutewomen recently improved their overall record to 11-6. UMass gets to wrap up its last three regular season matches at home and after today’s match, they take on Boston University and Quinnipiac.

Kara Deyermenjian can be reached at kdeyerme@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.