UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Lecluyse helps propel Minutewomen to victory

The Canadian flag was displayed at Monday’s tennis match, recognizing UMass senior captain and Canadian native Maude Lecluyse on Senior Day. Following an emotional ceremony to recognize Lecluyse’s talent and accomplishments, Lecluyse played in her 109th career match, as the Massachusetts tennis team reclaimed its dominance at home, with a 5-2 victory over Quinnipiac.

“It felt really good and meant a lot to the team to put together a win for Maude on Senior Day,” said UMass coach Judy Dixon.

The squad was coming off a disappointing 5-2 loss last Saturday at the Mullins Courts against Boston University, which halted its four-match winning streak. The loss was a surprising one for the squad, who isn’t used to losing at home. The defeat brought the Minutewomen’s a 6-2 home record.

“We gave BU a little more respect than they deserved,” said Dixon. “I feel like we held back a little and it made them feel like they could win it. It definitely wasn’t the greatest game for us.”

The Bobcats came out strong on Monday, as Adrienne Markison and Mary Wilson defeated Candynce Boney and Lecluyse, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles.

The Minutewomen wasted no time responding, however, and took the two following doubles matches to claim the point. Tanisha Hodgson and Julia Comas defeated Rachel Cantor and Sarah Viebrock, 8-4, at second doubles and Kaitlyn Carpenter and Jocelyn Providence topped Natalie Duckor and Shawna Sarson, winning 8-4 at third doubles.

After securing the doubles point, UMass easily clinched the victory after going up 4-0 with impressive singles play. Freshman Julia Comas continued to show prowess, as she knocked off Wilson 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1 singles after losing the first two games of the first set and coming back to win 12 of the following 15 contests.

“Comas continues to come up with big wins, including the one today, where she came back to shut down Wilson at No. 1 singles,” Dixon said.

Boney also dominated No. 2, as she topped Cantor 6-1, 6-4 and claimed her sixth-straight singles win. After Carpenter defeated Duckor at No 3., 6-2, 6-1, Lecluyse took the court at No. 4 in hopes of taking the win on her special day.

Lecluyse topped Viebrock in three sets, as she unleashed a hard-fought comeback after losing in a first set tiebreak. Lecluyse’s team was waiting anxiously to embrace their captain with a group hug after she claimed the victory.

“Maude went out today and won it. She played like a champ,” Dixon said. “The other girl didn’t lose the match; Maude had to win it.”

The senior has played in the second-most matches of any UMass tennis player in history, and the win was Lecluyse’s 51st career singles victory.

When asked how it felt to pull out the singles victory on senior day, Lecluyse summed up her emotions.

“It felt amazing, there’s really no better feeling in the world. I was really nervous towards the end, but I was so happy to get the win with everyone watching,” Lecluyse said.

With the win, UMass improves to 12-6 on the season, while the Bobcats fall to 8-6. 

The Minutewomen’s regular season will come to an end on Friday afternoon when they host Albany. The Atlantic 10 Conference Championships will begin April 22 in St. Louis, MO.

“After we did so well today, there’s no doubt in my mind we can continue winning. I think our chances are just as good as anybody else’s in the upcoming tournament,” Lecluyse said.

Kara Deyermenjian can be reached at kdeyerme@student.umass.edu.