Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma -

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

UMass students BBQ for Israeli Independence

The University of Massachusetts Hillel and the Student Alliance for Israel (SAFI) coordinated a pond-side celebration yesterday to commemorate Yom Ha’atzmaut, Israel Independence Day.

The annual event; which was also sponsored by Combined Jewish Philanthropies, Harold Grinspoon Foundation, Legacy Heritage Fund, MASA Israel Journey and UMass’ Jewish Student Union; was open to the public, featuring a kosher barbecue, a hookah tent, professional massages, various craft vendors, henna tattoos and a bounce house. Five-piece band from Berklee College of Music, Hamisha, also performed live Israeli music for attendees.

“We’ve planned [Yom Ha’atzmaut] for three or four months,” said UMass senior and SAFI President, Andrew Horwitz. “It’s been pretty intense during the last month or so – just getting all the loose ends tied up, and finally putting everything together today.”

“It’s really the smallest details that you never think about, but they always pop up just a week before,” added current UMass Hillel Israel fellow Michal Baruch, who worked with Horwitz and SAFI to coordinate the event.

According to the SAFI section of UMass Hillel’s website, SAFI believes in “Israel’s right to freedom, safety and security … that good citizens of democracy have the right to live together in a sovereign state, free of fear … [and] in safe borders, freedom and peace.” Though SAFI and UMass Hillel are two distinct groups, Baruch – who’s visiting Amherst from her native Israel to serve as an Israel fellow at Hillel – and Horwitz emphasize the benefits of working with each other’s organizations to plan events that promote an understanding of Israeli culture, society and its people.

“We do cultural events, we do political events, we do some smaller events too,” said Horwitz, of the RSO’s various gatherings hosted throughout the semester. “We partnered with a lot of different groups this year, which we’re really proud of. We partnered with the [UMass] Pride Alliance and brought someone from the Combined Jewish Philanthropies (CJP), and he talked about his experience working with a gay organization in Jerusalem.”

Baruch agrees that UMass Hillel’s work with SAFI is particularly valuable when teaming up to put on events focused primarily on Israel, given the organizations’ different focuses.

“We have a lot of other events that we do at Hillel, mostly [surrounding] Jewish holy days. When it comes to Israel, we definitely work with SAFI because they’re doing it, they’re on campus and they’ve got a lot of people that come to SAFI. It’s definitely great to work with SAFI when we do anything about Israel.”

Horwitz and Baruch’s involvement in the planning of the campus’ Yom Ha’atzmaut celebration stem from their mutually strong ties to Israel.

“Last Yom Ha’atzmaut, I was in Israel, which was a pretty awesome experience. I spent seven months there, so coming back here, becoming SAFI’s president and just being able to share the positive feelings I have about Israel and spread awareness … really means a lot,” said Horwitz.

“It’s really important that people see that Israel has a lot. In the news, you see one thing, but it’s really important just to show that Israel is more, and I think that this is a good place for showing it,” Baruch said.

Kirsten Swenson can be reached at kswenson@dailycollegian.com.