UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team improved its record to 1-1-0 against Vermont on Sept. 3 at Rudd Field. UMass coach Ed Matz not only locked up his first win with his new team, but also marked the 100th victory in his women’s coaching career.

The 4-0 shutout for the Minutewomen began with a goal from junior Meghan Collins in the 22nd minute, who struck the ball into the lower-left hand corner of the net for her first career score. Deannna Colarossi increased the lead to 2-0 with a redirection from sophomore Jenna Goodwin at 38:24.

The second half was just as eventful for the Minutewomen as they tallied two more scores in front of the home crowd. Freshman Kayla Austin bent in a shot under the crossbar at 53:17 for her first collegiate goal. In the 64th minute senior Kelsey Anderson lofted a 25-yard strike into the top left corner of the net.

UMass outshot Vermont, 22-15, however the Catamounts had a 9-2 advantage on corner kicks, but could not capitalize on any of the opportunities. Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Cota had eight saves in net for the Minutewomen while Sarah Leiby recorded four saves for the Catamounts.

“I was very impressed with the defense and how well they played. Our defense is going to be an essential part in our success this season,” Matz said.

In the season opener against Washington, the Minutewomen were victims of a shutout themselves. Washington took the early lead in the 12th minute off the foot of McKenna Waitley. Waitley was assisted by Jane Mitchell. The deficit grew to 2-0 as Lindsey Elston crossed a pass through the air to Kellye Joswick who headed it in. Before the end of the first half freshman Lauren Skesavage fired a long-range shot but missed just wide of the right post. Washington added their final goal in the 49th minute of the contest with a goal off of the foot of Kelsey Brajkovich in traffic.

Cota recorded 3 saves in the losing effort while her counterpart Jorde Lafontaine-Kussman stopped five. UMass was outshot,15-9, and the Huskies held the edge in corner kicks, 7-3.

“We need to take advantage of some of the opportunities we are getting and the offense will continue to get better throughout the season,” Matz said.

The women will travel to play Albany on Monday for their first road game of the season.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts”
  1. lol do these girls live with you??