Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

UMass women’s lacrosse emphasizes defense in approaching games as its key to gaining momentum for conference play -

Not much is new in ‘Beauty and the Beast,’ though it might not be a bad thing -

‘Get Out’ is a satirical horror for the post-Obama generation -

UPC releases spring concert lineup -

UMass hires Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey as next men’s basketball head coach -

Update: Contradicting reports surround Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry, a reported serious contender for UMass men’s basketball head coaching job -

Report: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry a serious contender for UMass men’s basketball head coaching job -

SGA reorganizes area governments -

Small group of students study during Hatch’s ‘soft opening’ -

Lecture addressing Islamophobia to be held Wednesday -

UMass women’s lacrosse uses basketball drills to help improve offensive and defensive skills over spring break -

Notebook: Report indicates men’s basketball job search could be closing in on leading candidates -

North Korea in the tense spotlight -

We don’t need more unnecessary features -

Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team improved its record to 1-1-0 against Vermont on Sept. 3 at Rudd Field. UMass coach Ed Matz not only locked up his first win with his new team, but also marked the 100th victory in his women’s coaching career.

The 4-0 shutout for the Minutewomen began with a goal from junior Meghan Collins in the 22nd minute, who struck the ball into the lower-left hand corner of the net for her first career score. Deannna Colarossi increased the lead to 2-0 with a redirection from sophomore Jenna Goodwin at 38:24.

The second half was just as eventful for the Minutewomen as they tallied two more scores in front of the home crowd. Freshman Kayla Austin bent in a shot under the crossbar at 53:17 for her first collegiate goal. In the 64th minute senior Kelsey Anderson lofted a 25-yard strike into the top left corner of the net.

UMass outshot Vermont, 22-15, however the Catamounts had a 9-2 advantage on corner kicks, but could not capitalize on any of the opportunities. Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Cota had eight saves in net for the Minutewomen while Sarah Leiby recorded four saves for the Catamounts.

“I was very impressed with the defense and how well they played. Our defense is going to be an essential part in our success this season,” Matz said.

In the season opener against Washington, the Minutewomen were victims of a shutout themselves. Washington took the early lead in the 12th minute off the foot of McKenna Waitley. Waitley was assisted by Jane Mitchell. The deficit grew to 2-0 as Lindsey Elston crossed a pass through the air to Kellye Joswick who headed it in. Before the end of the first half freshman Lauren Skesavage fired a long-range shot but missed just wide of the right post. Washington added their final goal in the 49th minute of the contest with a goal off of the foot of Kelsey Brajkovich in traffic.

Cota recorded 3 saves in the losing effort while her counterpart Jorde Lafontaine-Kussman stopped five. UMass was outshot,15-9, and the Huskies held the edge in corner kicks, 7-3.

“We need to take advantage of some of the opportunities we are getting and the offense will continue to get better throughout the season,” Matz said.

The women will travel to play Albany on Monday for their first road game of the season.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts”
  1. lol do these girls live with you??