Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team improved its record to 1-1-0 against Vermont on Sept. 3 at Rudd Field. UMass coach Ed Matz not only locked up his first win with his new team, but also marked the 100th victory in his women’s coaching career.

The 4-0 shutout for the Minutewomen began with a goal from junior Meghan Collins in the 22nd minute, who struck the ball into the lower-left hand corner of the net for her first career score. Deannna Colarossi increased the lead to 2-0 with a redirection from sophomore Jenna Goodwin at 38:24.

The second half was just as eventful for the Minutewomen as they tallied two more scores in front of the home crowd. Freshman Kayla Austin bent in a shot under the crossbar at 53:17 for her first collegiate goal. In the 64th minute senior Kelsey Anderson lofted a 25-yard strike into the top left corner of the net.

UMass outshot Vermont, 22-15, however the Catamounts had a 9-2 advantage on corner kicks, but could not capitalize on any of the opportunities. Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Cota had eight saves in net for the Minutewomen while Sarah Leiby recorded four saves for the Catamounts.

“I was very impressed with the defense and how well they played. Our defense is going to be an essential part in our success this season,” Matz said.

In the season opener against Washington, the Minutewomen were victims of a shutout themselves. Washington took the early lead in the 12th minute off the foot of McKenna Waitley. Waitley was assisted by Jane Mitchell. The deficit grew to 2-0 as Lindsey Elston crossed a pass through the air to Kellye Joswick who headed it in. Before the end of the first half freshman Lauren Skesavage fired a long-range shot but missed just wide of the right post. Washington added their final goal in the 49th minute of the contest with a goal off of the foot of Kelsey Brajkovich in traffic.

Cota recorded 3 saves in the losing effort while her counterpart Jorde Lafontaine-Kussman stopped five. UMass was outshot,15-9, and the Huskies held the edge in corner kicks, 7-3.

“We need to take advantage of some of the opportunities we are getting and the offense will continue to get better throughout the season,” Matz said.

The women will travel to play Albany on Monday for their first road game of the season.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts”
  1. lol do these girls live with you??