Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team improved its record to 1-1-0 against Vermont on Sept. 3 at Rudd Field. UMass coach Ed Matz not only locked up his first win with his new team, but also marked the 100th victory in his women’s coaching career.

The 4-0 shutout for the Minutewomen began with a goal from junior Meghan Collins in the 22nd minute, who struck the ball into the lower-left hand corner of the net for her first career score. Deannna Colarossi increased the lead to 2-0 with a redirection from sophomore Jenna Goodwin at 38:24.

The second half was just as eventful for the Minutewomen as they tallied two more scores in front of the home crowd. Freshman Kayla Austin bent in a shot under the crossbar at 53:17 for her first collegiate goal. In the 64th minute senior Kelsey Anderson lofted a 25-yard strike into the top left corner of the net.

UMass outshot Vermont, 22-15, however the Catamounts had a 9-2 advantage on corner kicks, but could not capitalize on any of the opportunities. Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Cota had eight saves in net for the Minutewomen while Sarah Leiby recorded four saves for the Catamounts.

“I was very impressed with the defense and how well they played. Our defense is going to be an essential part in our success this season,” Matz said.

In the season opener against Washington, the Minutewomen were victims of a shutout themselves. Washington took the early lead in the 12th minute off the foot of McKenna Waitley. Waitley was assisted by Jane Mitchell. The deficit grew to 2-0 as Lindsey Elston crossed a pass through the air to Kellye Joswick who headed it in. Before the end of the first half freshman Lauren Skesavage fired a long-range shot but missed just wide of the right post. Washington added their final goal in the 49th minute of the contest with a goal off of the foot of Kelsey Brajkovich in traffic.

Cota recorded 3 saves in the losing effort while her counterpart Jorde Lafontaine-Kussman stopped five. UMass was outshot,15-9, and the Huskies held the edge in corner kicks, 7-3.

“We need to take advantage of some of the opportunities we are getting and the offense will continue to get better throughout the season,” Matz said.

The women will travel to play Albany on Monday for their first road game of the season.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Matz gets first UMass victory over Catamounts”
  1. lol do these girls live with you??