UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Minutemen draw again with Catamounts

Jeff Bernstein/Daily Collegian

If anyone were to observe the Massachusetts soccer team following its game on Wednesday, they would’ve guessed the Minutemen lost instead of tied.

UMass coach Sam Koch was irritated and his players were equally disappointed. It was an unusual mood considering UMass tied a very formidable Vermont team, 2-2, which came into Rudd Field with a 4-1-2 record.

The Minutemen are getting a little tired of ties, though, because that has become a common theme this season as their record moved to 1-2-3.

“It’s the same old record: do the things that we do well and stay away from the things we don’t do well,” Koch said. “We attack down the flanks well and we had opportunities to continue to do that and we got away from it. Give Vermont credit they made it difficult [for us]. We had opportunities to do more than we did and we just didn’t play our best game today.”

With the Minutemen up 2-1 at the half, it appeared they had all the momentum to come away with its second win of the season.

After giving up an early goal, the UMass offense came alive during the 22nd minute, when forward Bryant Craft tied the game with his third goal of the season – a shot from inside the box coming off midfielder Chris Stoker’s pass from the right side. A little over two minutes later, defender Andrew Henshaw took advantage of midfielder Tyler Cleverdon’s pass with a shot that beat Catamount goalkeeper David Ramada to the bottom right corner, giving UMass a 2-1 lead.

Vermont would tie the game shortly after the half with Juan Peralta’s second goal of the season.

“They crossed it in and Henshaw was tracking back and slipped in,” UMass goalkeeper Chris Piekos said. “[Peralta] cut in and [was left all alone]. At that point I had to take the near post so he couldn’t beat me there which left a seam on the far post. He had a good strike. Unfortunately we couldn’t track him down and [deflect] that shot away.”

The contest remained a 2-2 tie for the remainder of the second half, thanks in large part to clutch saves from Piekos. With less than 16 minutes left in regulation, Piekos used all of his 6-foot-1, 220-pound frame to block a wide open look from the Catamounts’ Dwayne Dove.

Three minutes later, Piekos found himself in another sticky situation when UVM forward D.J. Edler had a breakaway opportunity.

“[Edler] had a good breakaway so I came out, cut my angle and got set and saw that he was trying to beat me [to the] far post so I got my leg down,” Piekos said. [I was hoping] it would stay right there so I could clean it up and I did.”

Not one Minuteman believed the game should’ve reached overtime in the first place.
“We worked hard but we just didn’t get it done defensively,” UMass defender David Key said. “We let in too many chances and it just wasn’t our strongest effort.”

UMass was more effective in the first overtime period, taking four shots and having three of them denied by Catamount goalkeeper David Ramada. Vermont’s lone opportunity in the period came with under two minutes left, when Piekos made an easy save on a header.

UMass seemed lifeless in the second overtime period, not registering a shot while allowing Vermont three shots.

“It was a tough game,” Piekos said. “We go into the half with a 2-1 lead and with a strong back four we have, we should’ve kept it 2-1 or at least scored a few more goals. We let them [back into the game]. It’s a little disappointing but we just have to move forward with UNH on Saturday and take it one game at a time.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.