Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Minutemen lose in double-overtime to New Hampshire

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The supposed strengths of the Massachusetts men’s soccer team were nowhere to be found as the Minutemen fell to New Hampshire, 1-0, in double-overtime on Saturday at Rudd Field.

UMass traditionally relies heavily on its defense and success at home to win games. Both factors, however, are currently working against the Minutemen, as they are 1-2-1 during their current eight-game homestand. With the loss, UMass falls to 1-3-3, while UNH remains undefeated at 4-0-2. 

“I’m extremely disappointed. I’m not happy,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “We’ve been making the same sort of mistakes we’ve been making. We’re getting caught and sometimes over-committing and giving them too much time and space.”

If not for goalkeeper Chris Piekos, the game could’ve been over much sooner. Piekos made six saves in the loss, several coming on breakaways in overtime. The game-winner came with 85 seconds left, when UNH’s Jon Harris ran in between two UMass defenders and caught up to a long pass. Piekos came out to challenge the breakaway, but was too late, as Harris cashed in on the open net.

The loss marks the halfway point of the Minutemen’s homestand, who still have four consecutive games to play at Rudd Field before they leave for Rhode Island on Oct. 16.

In seven games this year, UMass has surrendered 10 goals on 100 shots compared to its own eight goals on 79 shots. Piekos hopes his team can rectify its problems on both ends of the field before conference play begins on Oct. 8 against Xavier.

“What we have to do is play 90 minutes, we can’t just play 88,” Piekos said. “What we’ve got to work on is just our through balls and the defensive back four, tracking [opponents] down and playing the ball clean and better clearances and obviously finishing. We had a lot of great opportunities, [it could have been] two, three [to] nothing. We’ve got to get hungry and get on the ends of the balls and finish.”

Piekos is still confident the Minutemen can turn it around, and he expects this week’s practices to include a lot of shooting and finishing drills.

“Our finishing isn’t where it needs to be, but those are the things we come out [and work on] Monday and Tuesday,” Piekos said. “It’s coming…we have a great team and today’s performance just didn’t show it.”

The Minutemen are 0-1-3 in four overtime games this season and have been seriously outplayed in the second overtime period. UMass nearly lost to Vermont in double-overtime on Friday, when they narrowly escaped multiple scoring chances from the Catamounts. On Sunday, UMass was again ineffective in the second overtime stanza as the Wildcats outshot the Minutemen, 5-1.

“We didn’t defend very well at times, and sooner or later the other team is going to beat you down,” Koch said. 

“We gave away too many breakaways,” Piekos said.

UNH goalkeeper Colin O’Donnell was not tested much by the Minutemen, recording three saves for the shutout win.

“We’ve got a lot of things to work on,” Koch said. “Today is an example of us not doing the things we talked about as far as playing simple and making sure we combine with other teammates offensively.”

UMass returns to action on Wednesday, when it hosts Dartmouth for a 3 p.m. game at Rudd Field.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.