UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

Ryan Moloney pitches seven scoreless innings as UMass baseball takes series opener from Fordham -

Minutewomen looking for Stoll’s return to spark run

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team has had its problems defensively; losing their last four consecutive games.

The offense however has been alive and the return of redshirt senior co-captain Sydney Stoll may be the key for UMass to turn their season around as they begin conference play this weekend.

Stoll has been plagued by injury throughout the entire 2010 season. She has been sidelined due to a hamstring pull in preseason and has watched her team struggle to a 3-6-0 record.

She did open against Washington, recording one shot on goal, but has since been forced to stand on the sidelines. Stoll will look to produce as she did in previous years for UMass and get her team in the conference hunt. 

It may have seemed like déjà vu for the forward, as she missed the entire 2008 season and half of the 2007 season due to a broken collarbone injury against Rhode Island her sophomore year.

Last season as a redshirt junior, she started all 19 games for the Maroon and White. Stoll scored five goals along with an assist while taking 51 shots in 2009, accounting for a third of UMass’ goals scored. Stoll was also the 16th player in UMass history to be a part of the Atlantic 10 All-Tournament Team.

Stoll will play against Charlotte on Friday with limited minutes, according to UMass coach Ed Matz.

“Sydney is extremely excited to get back into it, as she has been very frustrated with this hamstring injury all season,” Matz said. “She is going to play for a limited amount of time, and then we’ll go from there.”

Without Stoll at the reigns of the offensive attack, others have stepped up to fill her shoes thus far throughout the season.

Therese Smith has four goals in her last three contests, including two against Brown. She has four goals and two assists for 10 points and leads the team in shot attempts with 32.

Deanna Colorassi has also had her share of offensive opportunities with four goals on the year. Colorassi has taken advantage of her opportunities to score, as she has 13 shot attempts with 10 on target. Her shots on goal percentage is .769 with a goal percentage of .308.    

Senior Ashley Hamel has two goals, both game-winners, along with three assists all coming in the last two games to Smith. She has 16 goals midway through the season for a .167 goals per game average and is giving the Minutewomen chances to win.

“We need to play better collectively as a team,” Matz said. “We can’t blame it on goaltending or our defenders, but as a team effort we need to pick up our marks and play better defense.”

Emersyn Pullan will make her first collegiate start in net for UMass as sophomore Emily Cota suffered a concussion in last weekend’s game against Harvard and is not cleared to play. Pullan made two spectacular saves against the Crimson within her first moments of action.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.