UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Minutewomen look to pick up where they left off in 2010-11 season

Last year proved to be a magical season for the Massachusetts women’s ice hockey team, which finished eighth in the country and eighth in the national tournament held in Minnesota.

The Minutewomen went into the tournament as the eighth-seed and finished in that position after losing their three pool play games to Lindenwood, 0-5, Grand Valley St. 0-5 and Michigan State. 2-6.

UMass coach Chris Cobb expects success from his program, which has gone 45-30-4 since he took over the head coaching position in 06-07.

Although last season was a success, Cobb and the Minutewomen are looking for more.

“Our expectations are to improve on last year” Cobb said. “We think that if we play to our potential then we can contend for a national championship.”

The 2010-11 campaign looks to be just as exciting for the Minutewomen, as they have some formidable opponents on the schedule including five of the top six ranked teams in the nation from last year.
“We don’t have an easy game,” Cobb said. “We have 23 season games, and 19 are against teams that were in the national tournament last year. We always have good games with Lindenwood and Rhode Island is one of our biggest rivals.”

Opponents will be aware of the Minutewomen more than previous years not only because of last year’s results, but also because they enter this season ranked seventh in the nation and third in the Eastern Region behind only Liberty and rival URI.

The Minutewomen graduated only four seniors from last year’s team and have 25 of their 33 players returning. They will bring eight newcomers to the ice this season

“We have some very talented young players coming in this year,” Cobb said.

Cobb will rely on sophomore forward Brittany Resendes to do much of what she did in her freshman campaign when she led the team in scoring and points with seven and 17, respectively.

“Our leading scorer, Brittany Resendes, is back,” Cobb said. “I look for her to improve on her freshman year and expect her to put up big numbers for us.”

“Also, we will need Catherine O’Brien to score,” Cobb said. “She was a quiet contributor last year.”

Cobb and the Minutewomen will need her to return to freshman form, when she totaled eight goals and 17 assists if they expect to contend for a national championship.

O’Brien tallied eight goals and five assists for 13 points in 2010-11. O’Brien looks to add to her 23 career goals in her final season with the Minutewomen.

While there is a lot of pressure on the Minutewomen to return to the national tournament this season, Cobb makes sure that the important things stick.

“Just having fun, our main goal is to have fun,” he said.

The Minutewomen open their season on Oct. 22 at 8 p.m. against the Spartans at the Mullins Center Practice Rink, where they will look to avenge last year’s tournament loss.

Patrick Keller is a Collegian Correspondent. He can be reached at pskeller@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen look to pick up where they left off in 2010-11 season”
  1. Joan Goddard says:

I am looking forward to watching the Minutewomen again this year, and cheering them on to victory. As the grandmother of Brittany Resendes, I have been watching her skate from age 3 and play hockey as soon as she was age appropriate. There have not been many games that I have missed, and now, watching her play for UMass, Amherst, is the culmination of my dreams for her as far as her hockey career is concerned. Chris Cobb has been as good a coach as I could have hoped for her to have, and I find him to be an encouraging and positive coach during the games. HThe girls have become family to one another, and I am sure these friendships will continue for many years to come. I guess what I am trying to say is GO MINUTEWOMEN!!!!