UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fight for college affordability continues -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

U.S. News ranks UMass among top 30 public universities -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Battling arguments -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tim McGraw comes back strong in ‘Sundown Heaven Town’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

No arrests made at UMass Homecoming tailgate and game -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Alt-J diversifies and grows in ‘This Is All Yours.’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FSU holds off the Wolfpack while Hill leads the Aggies to an overtime victory -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UPDATE: UMass Police Department and Student Affairs officials to conduct review of confidential informant policy -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by UNH, 1-0, on Sunday -

Monday, September 29, 2014

The best ways to decorate your dorm room -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass needs to actively combat sexual assault -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Northwestern District Attorney’s office hosts National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Students celebrate return of UMass football with tailgate festivities -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Minutewomen look to pick up where they left off in 2010-11 season

Last year proved to be a magical season for the Massachusetts women’s ice hockey team, which finished eighth in the country and eighth in the national tournament held in Minnesota.

The Minutewomen went into the tournament as the eighth-seed and finished in that position after losing their three pool play games to Lindenwood, 0-5, Grand Valley St. 0-5 and Michigan State. 2-6.

UMass coach Chris Cobb expects success from his program, which has gone 45-30-4 since he took over the head coaching position in 06-07.

Although last season was a success, Cobb and the Minutewomen are looking for more.

“Our expectations are to improve on last year” Cobb said. “We think that if we play to our potential then we can contend for a national championship.”

The 2010-11 campaign looks to be just as exciting for the Minutewomen, as they have some formidable opponents on the schedule including five of the top six ranked teams in the nation from last year.
“We don’t have an easy game,” Cobb said. “We have 23 season games, and 19 are against teams that were in the national tournament last year. We always have good games with Lindenwood and Rhode Island is one of our biggest rivals.”

Opponents will be aware of the Minutewomen more than previous years not only because of last year’s results, but also because they enter this season ranked seventh in the nation and third in the Eastern Region behind only Liberty and rival URI.

The Minutewomen graduated only four seniors from last year’s team and have 25 of their 33 players returning. They will bring eight newcomers to the ice this season

“We have some very talented young players coming in this year,” Cobb said.

Cobb will rely on sophomore forward Brittany Resendes to do much of what she did in her freshman campaign when she led the team in scoring and points with seven and 17, respectively.

“Our leading scorer, Brittany Resendes, is back,” Cobb said. “I look for her to improve on her freshman year and expect her to put up big numbers for us.”

“Also, we will need Catherine O’Brien to score,” Cobb said. “She was a quiet contributor last year.”

Cobb and the Minutewomen will need her to return to freshman form, when she totaled eight goals and 17 assists if they expect to contend for a national championship.

O’Brien tallied eight goals and five assists for 13 points in 2010-11. O’Brien looks to add to her 23 career goals in her final season with the Minutewomen.

While there is a lot of pressure on the Minutewomen to return to the national tournament this season, Cobb makes sure that the important things stick.

“Just having fun, our main goal is to have fun,” he said.

The Minutewomen open their season on Oct. 22 at 8 p.m. against the Spartans at the Mullins Center Practice Rink, where they will look to avenge last year’s tournament loss.

Patrick Keller is a Collegian Correspondent. He can be reached at pskeller@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen look to pick up where they left off in 2010-11 season”
  1. Joan Goddard says:

I am looking forward to watching the Minutewomen again this year, and cheering them on to victory. As the grandmother of Brittany Resendes, I have been watching her skate from age 3 and play hockey as soon as she was age appropriate. There have not been many games that I have missed, and now, watching her play for UMass, Amherst, is the culmination of my dreams for her as far as her hockey career is concerned. Chris Cobb has been as good a coach as I could have hoped for her to have, and I find him to be an encouraging and positive coach during the games. HThe girls have become family to one another, and I am sure these friendships will continue for many years to come. I guess what I am trying to say is GO MINUTEWOMEN!!!!