UMass men’s soccer falls 2-0 vs. Colgate -

UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Minutemen scare Minnesota despite two losses

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The Massachusetts hockey team experienced near identical results in its two games this past weekend when it traveled to the Twin City of Minneapolis.

UMass lost on Friday, 5-3, and on Saturday, 5-4, to No. 15 Minnesota, but not before a serious scare.
UMass coach Don Cahoon was pleased with the character that his players showed, but he has high hopes for his team, even if no one else has similar expectations.

“As a coach, the bottom line is winning, so there’s a bitter taste to all of this,” Cahoon said. “We competed really hard, we showed resiliency [and] we definitely persevered serious struggles. Those are the positives that build a foundation, but that’s not where we need to be. As a coach, we’re going to get there as soon as we possibly can.”

The Minutemen faced a 3-0 deficit in the opening frame of Saturday’s game, their goalie and captain Paul Dainton left the ice with an injury. After battling to narrow the deficit, T.J. Syner netted a goal to cut the Gopher lead to one with an open net and under two minutes in regulation.

The power play units of both teams became the difference in the game as the Gophers went 2-for-3, while the Minutemen misfired on five opportunities.

“We had all sorts of power play opportunities… we just have to bury [them],” Cahoon said. “I wasn’t disappointed with the way our power play moved the puck, we had some real good looks.”

UMass held a 36-33 shot advantage in the game, after being out-shot, 17-7, in the first period.

Defenseman Anthony Raiola, a Minnesota native, netted his first career goal to begin the Minutemen rally. Conor Sheary and Michael Marcou also found goal on Saturday, unable to overcome a first period hat trick by Minnesota’s Jay Barriball.

Dainton left the game in the first period after making 10 saves and Cahoon said he is day-to-day.

UMass converted on 2-of-6 opportunities with a man-advantage on Friday, but failed to capitalize on two chances in the first period to take the lead, including a five-minute power-play.

Bariball gave the Gophers a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period, followed by a second goal by Mike Hoeffel 12 seconds into the second period.

The two teams traded goals into the third period, when Syner connected on a breakaway goal off of a pass from Michael Pereira in transition to make it 4-3 Minnesota. Then, Zach Budish scored on an empty net with under a minute in regulation to ice the game.

Syner had two goals on the weekend and six other UMass players netted their first goals of the season.

Marcou had three points in the two games, assisting on a score in each of the Minutemen losses.

Despite the loss, Cahoon saw a lot of promise in his team’s ability to play from behind.

“I was pleased with the way we responded to the adversity of being down three goals,” Cahoon said. “I don’t like the idea that we were down three. There’s a lot to work on.”

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutemen scare Minnesota despite two losses”
  1. Charlotte says:

I visited various web pages except the audio feature for audio songs existing at this web page is
    really fabulous.