UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Minutemen scare Minnesota despite two losses

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The Massachusetts hockey team experienced near identical results in its two games this past weekend when it traveled to the Twin City of Minneapolis.

UMass lost on Friday, 5-3, and on Saturday, 5-4, to No. 15 Minnesota, but not before a serious scare.
UMass coach Don Cahoon was pleased with the character that his players showed, but he has high hopes for his team, even if no one else has similar expectations.

“As a coach, the bottom line is winning, so there’s a bitter taste to all of this,” Cahoon said. “We competed really hard, we showed resiliency [and] we definitely persevered serious struggles. Those are the positives that build a foundation, but that’s not where we need to be. As a coach, we’re going to get there as soon as we possibly can.”

The Minutemen faced a 3-0 deficit in the opening frame of Saturday’s game, their goalie and captain Paul Dainton left the ice with an injury. After battling to narrow the deficit, T.J. Syner netted a goal to cut the Gopher lead to one with an open net and under two minutes in regulation.

The power play units of both teams became the difference in the game as the Gophers went 2-for-3, while the Minutemen misfired on five opportunities.

“We had all sorts of power play opportunities… we just have to bury [them],” Cahoon said. “I wasn’t disappointed with the way our power play moved the puck, we had some real good looks.”

UMass held a 36-33 shot advantage in the game, after being out-shot, 17-7, in the first period.

Defenseman Anthony Raiola, a Minnesota native, netted his first career goal to begin the Minutemen rally. Conor Sheary and Michael Marcou also found goal on Saturday, unable to overcome a first period hat trick by Minnesota’s Jay Barriball.

Dainton left the game in the first period after making 10 saves and Cahoon said he is day-to-day.

UMass converted on 2-of-6 opportunities with a man-advantage on Friday, but failed to capitalize on two chances in the first period to take the lead, including a five-minute power-play.

Bariball gave the Gophers a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period, followed by a second goal by Mike Hoeffel 12 seconds into the second period.

The two teams traded goals into the third period, when Syner connected on a breakaway goal off of a pass from Michael Pereira in transition to make it 4-3 Minnesota. Then, Zach Budish scored on an empty net with under a minute in regulation to ice the game.

Syner had two goals on the weekend and six other UMass players netted their first goals of the season.

Marcou had three points in the two games, assisting on a score in each of the Minutemen losses.

Despite the loss, Cahoon saw a lot of promise in his team’s ability to play from behind.

“I was pleased with the way we responded to the adversity of being down three goals,” Cahoon said. “I don’t like the idea that we were down three. There’s a lot to work on.”

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutemen scare Minnesota despite two losses”
  1. Charlotte says:

I visited various web pages except the audio feature for audio songs existing at this web page is
    really fabulous.