REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass football kicks off day one of fall camp Monday -

Monday, August 17, 2015

Cyr: The time to start talking football is back again -

Monday, August 17, 2015

UMass football adds series with USF, Maine to future schedules -

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Road play still daunts Minutewomen

Geoff King/Collegian

Playing at home and playing away are two very different halves to the same coin.  One side can be smooth, clean and easy to read, while the other can be scared and rough, almost impossible to figure out.

That same coin reflects the season thus far for the Massachusetts women’s soccer team.

The Minutewomen (5-8-0, 2-2-0 A-10) have fared well this season at home, posting a 3-3-0 record on Rudd Field.  On the road, however, the picture is drastically different, as the Maroon and White have only managed to muster a 2-5-0 mark.

According to head coach Ed Matz, several different factors, from a lack of consistency to a struggling bench, are hampering the team’s efforts outside their home turf.

“Playing on the road is never an easy thing to do,” Matz said.  “A couple of our road games have been flights, which adds an extra toll on you physically.  Take that and add it to the tough competition that we’ve had to face in teams like Michigan and Dayton, and you can start to see what challenges we have to go up against every time we travel.”

The obstacles don’t end for the Minutewomen there either.

“We just don’t have that deep a team,” Matz said.  “They’re young players that have a lot of trouble sustaining or elevating the flow of the game on our side of the ball.  In addition, we need to play better as a team.  We’re in A-10 play now, and we need to play mistake-free soccer in order to win.  We need to recognize what’s needed on the field in order to compete with the rest of the division.”

A key component that has been seriously lacking with the team’s performance is a clutch player named Sydney Stoll.

Stoll, who has missed most of the year with an injury, is finally back in action for the Minutewomen.  The redshirt senior has started in five games this season for UMass, and in those five games she has two goals on five shots.  Matz undoubtedly feels that she will be huge in the play down the stretch.

“She is a critical part of our team,” Matz said.  “Sydney has really helped out the team.  She’s given us a lot of offensive strength, and I feel like someone with her talent would have helped us tie or win a lot of the one-goal losses that we’ve had this season.”

The most critical aspect about her on-field play is the leadership she brings to the game.

“Her ability to lead is key,” Matz said.  “She and the rest of the seniors need to be able to lead this team.  If they can stand up and perform, the rest of the team will follow.  They only have five more games this season, and they need to work hard if they want to extend that run into the postseason.  We need to improve the consistency in our game play, both on offense and defense, and each of these seniors can help to lead the team in that direction.”

In looking ahead to the team’s game against URI this Sunday, Matz could not stress enough how important a win would be.

“This weekend’s game is pivotal,” Matz said.  “Momentum is critical, and we need to sustain that for when we come home next weekend.”

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.